Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question For Cookie Bakers...

[ Edited ]

Just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Light brown sugar.

I'd use the dark if I was making  molasses cookies.

Respected Contributor

I prefer dark brown sugar. 

Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I am a novice cookie baker, and I have no answer for you to your question as I have not experimented using both types.  However, I wanted to let you know about the greatest invention I have ever discovered pertaining to baking cookies-- parchment paper!!!!! 

If you simply put down a sheet of parchment paper onto the cookie tray before you spoon or scoop the cookie batter onto it, the cookies just lift right up into your hand and off the paper with ease when you use your very fingers to lift them off, once cooled. No metal or plastic utensil is needed to shove underneath the cookies to remove them from the cookie tray.  I was amazed when I discovered this a few months ago.  I felt completely ignorant, actually, that I had never known about using it.  I will never bake cookies again without parchment paper.  Cleanup is a breeze, too.  

Good luck with your cookies.  I am sure they will be wonderful no matter which sugar you use to bake them.  Sorry for interjecting this thought, but if you(or anyone else reading your post) didn't know about this wondrous baking invention, then I am glad I mentioned it. 

@Jersey Born 

Thanks for the tip on parchment paper.  I will buy some today.  Always like helpful hints.  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Sunshine Kate   You've gotten great answers from all the talented crew, so I won't repeat those.  Below is what I've learned--sometimes the hard way!

My tips are to make sure that your eggs and butter are out to get to room temperature well before you intend to start mixing and baking.  Microwaving butter to soften doesn't work as well, if at all, in my experience.  Changes the texture.  Microwaving chocolate in quick bursts does work, but I still prefer heating in a double boiler.  Let it cool if the recipe directs to do so before adding.

Have more than one cookie sheet and let them cool off before putting more cookies on them (to avoid the dreaded "spread" that can otherwise happen.   I sometimes pop them in the fridge on top of a brown bag (to avoid damaging the glass shelf) or in the freezer for a couple of minutes when they are not screaming hot from the oven to speed up their reuse.  

And yes, parchment paper is awesome!  Do use it.

Keep the cookie dough or dough log in the refrigerator while baking to avoid it getting too warm.

Store "like" cookies together--soft with soft, crispy with crispy.  Make sure they have cooled thoroughly on raised racks before storing to avoid weird, soggy, "off" cookie results after all your expense and hard work.

I do use tins with tight lids using waxed paper between layers and I don't refrigerate or freeze--don't have the space.  I do freeze raw cookie dough, though, so I can bake batches when I am in the mood.

To me, the key to baking is preparation, having all the ingredients on hand, precision, and patience.  Rushing screws things up in baking more than anything else.

Happy cookie baking!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 

Thank you so much, lots of great tips.