Respected Contributor

Question For Cookie Bakers...

I don't bake cookies often, but I'm going to start soon. 

For those with experience, do you prefer using dark or light brown sugar for chocolate chip, peanut butter and snickerdoodle cookies. 

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question For Cookie Bakers...

Hi @Sunshine Kate I usually defer to what the recipe suggests. I've always used the original Toll House cookie recipe that's on the back of the Nestle's morsels for chocolate chip cookies.

I'd say I probably use light brown for snickerdoodles.

Honored Contributor

I only buy light brown sugar period.   

Respected Contributor

I am a novice cookie baker, and I have no answer for you to your question as I have not experimented using both types.  However, I wanted to let you know about the greatest invention I have ever discovered pertaining to baking cookies-- parchment paper!!!!! 

If you simply put down a sheet of parchment paper onto the cookie tray before you spoon or scoop the cookie batter onto it, the cookies just lift right up into your hand and off the paper with ease when you use your very fingers to lift them off, once cooled. No metal or plastic utensil is needed to shove underneath the cookies to remove them from the cookie tray.  I was amazed when I discovered this a few months ago.  I felt completely ignorant, actually, that I had never known about using it.  I will never bake cookies again without parchment paper.  Cleanup is a breeze, too.  

Good luck with your cookies.  I am sure they will be wonderful no matter which sugar you use to bake them.  Sorry for interjecting this thought, but if you(or anyone else reading your post) didn't know about this wondrous baking invention, then I am glad I mentioned it. 

I bake cookies every Christmas to give to special friends. You should follow the recipe, it will usually state dark brown sugar if needed. If it just states brown sugar I always use light brown sugar. The dark brown sugar has more molasses then light hence the dark color. Gingerbread usually calls for dark but most cookies you will use light brown sugar because it is milder in flavor. Another tip is to use a cookie scoop, you will then have uniform size and they will all bake even. OVC has a set of scoops in three different sizes.

Honored Contributor

I always use only light brown.  Don't care for the strong taste of dark.  Sometimes I mix light brown and white.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I, too, have always purchased the light brown sugar.   I think you can go either way.  IIRC, the darker just has more molasses in it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate   I have baked about 500 doz or more cookies each year for over 25 years at Christmas and always use dark brown since it is moister and has more molasses so cookies are tastier.  Also for chocolate chip I use half the amount of white sugar and make the other half amount dark brown sugar to add to the reglar amount of brown sugar. 

Respected Contributor

LIght brown  is what I use.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  Yep, light brown unless recipes calls for dark.