Respected Contributor

Re: Problem With Cake Sticking To The Pan - I'm Depressed

@dex   Great minds think alike.  Your black forest trifle sounds excellent.  Any kind of chocolate cake is my favorite, the darker the better.  Kirsch goes well with cherries or raspberries and chocolate.  Almond extract is good with chocolate and either of these fruits.  Grand Marnier works, too.  So does Amaretto.    

If it was just for home, for significant other and myself, I would just gleefully put the chunks of chocolate cake in a couple of little bowls and have at it with chocolate sprinkles and whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and fudge sauce.

But you have to dress up or camouflage the disaster if you are using it for a gathering.

I so feel for @KentuckyWoman. I am not certain I would have the courage or patience to try the fourth time in a row.  To break the "jinx" I'd bake a different cake or maybe the same one in a different pan or pans.

And if it was still very hot and humid when I buttered and floured the pans I would put them in the fridge for a few minutes while I was making the cake batter.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I agree with you that after three tries I wouldn’t have the courage to go on.I think you are on the right track to just create something from the cake that is already made.I bet it tastes wonderful and could be spectacular made into a trifle type dessert...would actually be quite impressive..I have to admit though if it happened to me I might have just gone to the bakery in despair.I love your idea of just simple cake pieces and ice cream  or whipping cream...that would be just perfect for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I personally don’t think you should get depressed over this ... I would just go to a bakery & buy a cake already made & forget about the baking mishap!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that for bundt pans, you must let the cake cool in the pan before attempting to release. And yes, always grease & flour the pan first (even non-stick) and then let the cake cool on a rack.

Another tip would be loose the cake edges with a butter knife just for some extra reassurance that it will slip out of the pan.

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman 

While I no longer bake, I would like to suggest making caramel-frosted chocolate cupcakes for the pool party.  No issue with “ sticking and falling apart “ that you are having now.

Very frustrating situation on several levels....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I personally don’t think you should get depressed over this ... I would just go to a bakery & buy a cake already made & forget about the baking mishap!!

@January121  I agree. Depressed? No.  Frustrated- maybe! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@KentuckyWoman 

While I no longer bake, I would like to suggest making caramel-frosted chocolate cupcakes for the pool party.  No issue with “ sticking and falling apart “ that you are having now.

Very frustrating situation on several levels....

@jlkz 

I agree!

The taste will be the same and much easier for guests to walk around and enjoy vs. a slice of cake requiring a plate, fork and somewhere to sit to eat it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I have a chocolate cake from scratch recipe I have been making for 40 years.  We are going to a pool party tomorrow at our son's home and he asked me to bring chocolate cake with caramel  frosting.  I failed three times.  The cake simply would not come out of the bundt pan without falling apart or part of the cake sticking to the pan.  I greased and floured the pan just like always.  I can't figure out what I did wrong or what is going on.  I followed the recipe to he letter.  My husband tried to console me and blamed it on the heat and humidity.  I have never had this happen with this cake before. 

Has anyone here had that problem and do you know what would cause this to happen?   I don't bake a lot of cakes but I've never had this happen before. 

I've been baking my MIL's pistachio cake in bundt form for years.  I use Pan baking cooking spray.  I let it cool a long time and put my serving plate on it turning it upside down directly on the plate to get it out.

Honored Contributor

I stopped flouring my cake pans 15-20 years ago.   I just spray and pour the batter in, and bake.   I let the cake cool at least 15 minutes before inverting on a wire rack; my cakes never stick.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman @So I am really curious..what did you decide to do?I hope that you have the best time at the pool party and people enjoy your dessert.