Respected Contributor

How to make English Muffins (No oven needed)

Honored Contributor

Re: How to make English Muffins (No oven needed)

Thank you!

I've looked into making Engish muffins many times before, and always wound up thinking it was too much trouble. These look very easy and since all I have these days is time, I'm going to try it.

Again, thank you for posting.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandma used to make this recipe.  We could hardly wait for them to cool, butter and orange marmalade at the ready.  This recipe does call for baking in an oven:

1 3/4 cups warm buttermilk

3 tbsp melted butter

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp instant yeast

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup cornmeal

Mix buttermilk, butter, salt, sugar, and yeast in big bowl.  Stir in flour until no streaks of flour are visible.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment, then sprinkle 2 tbsp cornmeal on each sheet.  

Scoop dough by 6-tbsp mounds onto sheets. 

With greased hands, pick up mounds and flip to cornmeal-side-up.  Shape into smooth, round circles and lay on sheet, spacing 3-4" apart.  Sprinkle 4 tbsp more cornmeal on tops of muffins.  Cover sheets with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.

Heat electric frypan to 350 degrees.  Gently poke top of muffins with tines of fork and place in frypan.  Cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes/side.

Place on clean, parchment-lined baking sheets (no cormeal).  Bake at 375 degrees until no longer doughy in middle, 5-7 minutes.  Let cool completely before splitting and toasting.  

Respected Contributor

@Naturesbeauty , I wanted to tell you this...

Yesterday I sent the video to my DIL.

She was psyched, and said she'd been trying to come up with things to keep her 3 young girls busy while quarantining at home.

Your English muffins have been added to the project list, so thanks a bunch!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Naturesbeauty , I wanted to tell you this...

Yesterday I sent the video to my DIL.

She was psyched, and said she'd been trying to come up with things to keep her 3 young girls busy while quarantining at home.

Your English muffins have been added to the project list, so thanks a bunch!

@sabatini Ahhhh thanks so much. When my granddaughters we small we cooked and baked a lot. They are grown now. The memories are priceless. Have your daughter in law Google: Cooking recipes for children. There are so many. Also n Pinterest. 🙋🏻‍♀️💐