Super Contributor

Re: Pimento Spread

[ Edited ]

Sounds good is that the real good canned ham like Deviled ham spread I  think that is in the stores oh I have not had that in a long tim,e think grocery sdtores still sell it and how do you add like hard boiled eggsor egg salad  to it ? never heard that recipe sounds good

then you are all set with all the good recipes on here today and enjoy for when your cravings for Pimento cheese dip kicks in what kind of crackers do you buy so many good ones at the grocery store hard to choose have a  good snack day.

Esteemed Contributor

Southern parents -- we had it a lot as a child. Good appetizer on crispy cracker or pita chip. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I love the Kraft Pimento spread too. I'm in the Midwest and it's always available around here. I usually find it with the Velveeta cheese. There is also a brand (maybe a local brand, but not sure of that) that sells Pimento spread in a small plastic container (tub) that I've tried. It's okay, but I honestly don't think anything is as good as Kraft.

Frequent Contributor

I always get my pimento cheese from Costco. It has a little "kick" to it! And it is delicious.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme,

This product can be ordered from Wal-Mart online.  

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanks, @panda1234, no Costco nearby - wish there were.

@eddyandme

sorry about that.

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I make this all the time and it is really simple. I buy Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar cheese and grate it up. Then I add a jar of pimentos and a little salt. Stir in a couple spoons of real Mayonnaise. It is delicious!

@Kitlynn. I usebbasically the same recipe but I add a generous sprinkle of garlic powder.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kitlynn@OKPrincess

Never knew it was so simple!  Thank you so much and could you also give me a rough idea as to whether I can make a batch and freeze it or how long it lasts in the fridge?

@eddyandme. Foods containing mayo usually doesn't freeze well as the mayo separates.  Also cheese changes texture after freezing; it doesn't change the taste, just texture.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Pimento Spread

[ Edited ]

In my experience,, the best store-bought pimiento cheese  (Palmetto brand in either regular or jalapeno-style) comes in a refrigerated tub, usually found in grocery stores in the deli section near other higher-end refrigerated cheese spreads, such as Boursin.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pimento+cheese+spread+brands&qpvt=pimento+cheese+spread+brands&...

The little jars of Kraft spreads are tasty but not-all-real-cheese versions of the real thing, and contain ingredients that enable them to be stocked  (before opening) on a non-refrigerated store shelf.  Some stores refrigerate them in the dairy section, but not all do.

I have always liked the little jars of Kraft Old English cheese spread.  Don't care for the  Kraft pimiento anymore after finding Palmetto, which is easy to mimic in one's own kitchen.