Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama@Hilery@CinNC

Think I'm now hooked on pimento spread!  All your recipes sound so good, I'm gonna try each and every one of them!

Thank you so much!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucy 13 wrote:

I think it only comes out in the stores around Thankgiving and Christmas that's the only time I can find it.

@Lucy 13

You're right!  The one I got has an expiration date of Sept!  (It'll be long gone by then though!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme,

Homemade pimento cheese will keep for weeks in the refrigerator, but I absolutely would not try to freeze it.    

I make mine with grated Velveeta, grated sharp cheddar, diced pimentoes, Miracle Whip, and a good dash of cayenne pepper.   We prefer Hellmann's mayo, but Miracle Whip tastes better in this pimento cheese recipe.   I eat very little cheese, but every few months I want a toasted pimento cheese sandwich or pimento cheese on crackers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@eddyandme,

Homemade pimento cheese will keep for weeks in the refrigerator, but I absolutely would not try to freeze it.    

I make mine with grated Velveeta, grated sharp cheddar, diced pimentoes, Miracle Whip, and a good dash of cayenne pepper.   We prefer Hellmann's mayo, but Miracle Whip tastes better in this pimento cheese recipe.   I eat very little cheese, but every few months I want a toasted pimento cheese sandwich or pimento cheese on crackers.  

Thanx, @RedTop!  My mother always preferred Miracle Whip!  Me, I'm a "any kind of mayo" type.  But I will pick some up and make your recipe also.  

Funny you mention toasted pimento cheese sandwiches.  I've been thinking of a toasted bread with egg salad and pimento spread.  My Eddy (furbaby) loves egg salad so I always have to make it without garlic and onions and the pimento cheese would "spiff" it up!

Respected Contributor

COSTCO sells it all year long and it is very good.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @panda1234, no Costco nearby - wish there were.

Honored Contributor

I always like to put a little chopped green olive in ours.  Black olive is good too, but somehow green is better!

Esteemed Contributor

Search the Recipe thread.  We've had several threads on Pimento Cheese.  I've joked about there being at least 47 different ways to make it!

Hope you find a "favorite!" 

It's like mac & cheese, there are many, many different combinations!

Honored Contributor

goldenlocks,

Yes, yes, the Kraft pimento spread was always on the fridge door!  We also had an olive spread in a Kraft jar (I think), too.   Also there was the cod liver oil that Mama made us swallow each day.  Now that was a yuck!

I was going to add that Mama sometimes put the pimento spread on Ritz crackers and served them along with other assorted hors d'oeuvres when we had people over.  Simpler times. 

The family across the street typically served chex cereal doused with worcesteshire sauce, baked in the oven, at their casual parties.  That was something we never did, and I thought innocently then that it had to do with their English background.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76

Yes, there was an olive spread.  I also remember a pineapple one.  But, the pimento spread ruledWoman LOL.

I've decided I'm going back to simpler times.  Will serve crackers and homemade pimento spread along with a canned ham and egg spread my aunt used to make.  So tired of the chex mix, taco dips, etc.  Nowadays, in these 'tense' times, simpler is better for me!