Honored Contributor

Re: Oven Fluffy Rice

[ Edited ]

@novamc1

Thanks novamc, I think I'll try this method tonight (we are on a rice kick lately LOL)!!!

I think my mistake in the past was leaving out the butter, you need some, even if it's just a little.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

On the topic of rinsing rice or other grains before cooking......

Betty Crocker suggests rinsing only wild rice abd quinoa to remove any dirt.

@novamc1

I see. Our best friend Betty knows right LOL???

Actually, I was wondering if the regular white rice should be rinsed due to the little powdering residue (broken pieces of rice maybe???) that falls to the bottom of the package (like the gunk at the bottom of a cereal box).

I pour mine into a clear, plastic container & there is a little residue at the bottom, NOT much though.

I haven't been rinsing mine but I probably will when I get to the bottom of the container.

Respected Contributor

I don't know enough to worry about the "little" stuff at the bottom of the package.  I buy the smallish boxes of Uncle Ben's and keep the rice  stored right in the box after removing enough for one meal.  I keep the box taped shut and stored in a Lock n Lock.

In fact, I can't remember finding any "little stuff" at the bottom of any rice box.........will have to look for it next time.  If there is, it just gets thrown in the pot with the good stuff, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oven Fluffy Rice

[ Edited ]

@novamc1

I used to buy those boxes, lately I get the larger bag (cheaper) & pour it into a clean, empty plastic container, fold up the instructions & shove them in there.

Ya know, I wonder if the rinsing thing came from years ago when there probably was more "stuff" in the rice. I don't see much anymore.

Now cereal on the other hand...............

We definitely run the last couple bowls through a sieve to get all that powder out.