Honored Contributor

Tasty Homemade Sweet Food Dessert, Red Strawberry Crepe Cake Decorated With Festive  Halloween Theme Background. Sweets, Treats, Sn Stock Image - Image of  party, delicious: 130299891

Ok, show of hands . . . who for some reason decided Thanksgiving was in October . . . hoo boy I am off to a good start!  Smiley Very Happy

Ok my friends, do better than me and post your most favorite and delish fall recipes as those colder winds are a-blowing!  

HOW TO PLAY.......
The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).
Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.
Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!
Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks as always to @GenXmuse   who gave us our next ingredient:

Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce

I have tried a lot of recipes of Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce. This is the closest to what you will find in any of the BBQ Restaurants here in North Carolina. It is on the hot side, so you may wish to adjust the cayenne pepper and Tabasco™ sauce for milder flavor.

Servings:
Yield:
2 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
DirectionsInstructions Checklist
  • Step 1

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

Nutrition Facts

4.1 calories; proteing; carbohydrates 0.6g; fatg; cholesterolmg; sodium 76mg 3% DV.

Next Ingredient: POBLANO PEPPERS
Trusted Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Poblano Peppers

Chicken Chili with Poblanos

This is a flexible chili recipe. Quickly brown chunks of cut-up chicken (either white meat or thighs are good). Remove from pot. Cut a pile of these big, vegetal peppers into big pieces. Seed them if you don't want them to be hot at all. Saute them with a bit of oil and some onionis. Puree half the mixture and add water or broth to make enough for the amounts of vegetables and meat. Add the chicken and puree back to the pot with whatever chili spices (cumin, coriander) and herbs you like. Include some hot fresh chilis like jalapenos if you want to. No beans. No tomato. Simmer all until done. 

Edited to add:

Next Ingredient: Cumin and coriander

Respected Contributor

Curried Cottage Pie

Featured Ingredients:  CUMIN & CORIANDER

Using your favorite cottage pie recipe that uses at least 1 lb. of browned ground beef, add:

3/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup crushed tomato

2 cups frozen peas

1 Tbsp minced garlic

1 Tsp ground cumin

1 Tsp ground coriander

1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper

1/4 Tsp sugar

Heat this mixture thoroughly on the stove top and then transfer to a casserole and top with freshly mashed potatoes, dotted with butter pats, and run under the broiler until the potato topping is golden brown.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  ROSEMARY & THYME  

Honored Contributor

Thank you to our lovely host, @momtochloefor getting the ball rolling every month and setting such a positive tone. 💗  @Qualker Tried your turkey recipe and total thumbs up. My husband said it brought back memories of his mother making chow mein chicken bake when he was growing up. 
SHEET PAN GARLIC BUTTER MUSHROOMS

The BEST side dish ever! Simply roast your mushrooms in the most heavenly garlic butter sauce on ONE SINGLE PAN!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, optional
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 pounds cremini mushrooms
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together butter, garlic, lemon juice, thyme and rosemary; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. Place mushrooms in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Stir in butter mixture and gently toss to combine.
  4. Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until browned and tender, tossing occasionally.
  5. Serve immediately.

Next Ingredient: CHOW MEIN NOODLES

Respected Contributor

World Famous Rhode Island Chicken Chow Mein

From the website of Pages in Time Rhode Island Native

Featured Ingredient:  CHINESE CHOW MEIN NOODLES

Per the website author:  You have to eyeball this depending how much you are making.  This version will serve about six people.

About 1/2 a bag fresh bean sprouts (I use a large can if i can't get fresh)

1 can of sliced water chestnuts (small tuna fish can size)

5 or 6 six celery ribs cut at an angle

1 large onion cut from the top in thin strips

1 bottle of oyster sauce*

dash of ground black pepper (I use white)

1/4 cup of soy sauce (I use low sodium)

2 cups strong chicken broth (author recommends using 4   bouillon cubes)

2 cups cold water with 3 Tbsp corn starch stirred in

1 pkg. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in cubes (4 breasts)

1/4 cup of oil (I use peanut oil)

Chinese Chow Mein Noodles (bagged or canned)

Heat the oil on medium high in a large frying pan or wok and add chicken.  Stir fry.  Add the oyster sauce and lower the heat.  Keep stirring for about 5 minutes.  

Remove the chicken and set aside.  Add all the other ingredients except cornstarch and water mixture to the large wok and stir and heat until boiling.  Stir in cornstarch mixture a little at a time until you get the right thickness to suit you. Add some pepper to taste and a bit more soy sauce--not too much or it will be too salty.

Add the chicken and stir thoroughly.  Let stand for about an hour to get reallly good flavor. (I don't let it sit THAT long.). Tastes great the next day.

Serve over rice and top with the essential crispy CHINESE CHOW MEIN NOODLES.

My note:  This is really authentic.  I went to college and then lived in Newport, Rhode Island for seven years. In RI and some parts of Massachussets the restaurants offer the option of serving this on a typical supermarket hamburger bun as a chow mein sandwich and whether you order the sandwich or by the dish or carton they serve bread and butter rolls on the side!

*I wouldn't use an entire bottle of oyster sauce unless it is a tiny--say 6 oz.--bottle.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  DRY or JARRED MUSTARD

Honored Contributor

This is another Carolina favorite. I use it on meat, veggies and as a dip, so, pretty much EVERYTHING!

Carolina Mustard Sauce

F5C5FF99-C9B5-41F0-A663-FDF11573592D.jpeg

YIELD 1 3/4 cups
INGREDIENTS
    • 3/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 teaspoon hot sauce

PREPARATION
    1. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Make at least 24 hours prior to usage for best flavor. Store refrigerated in a tightly covered jar for up to 2 weeks.

Next Ingredient: SPAGHETTI SQUASH

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse ..... happy to hear that your family liked the Crunchy Turkey Casserole!  I fixed it again myself recently as posting the recipe reminded me I had not done so in awhile.  👍

I do not have a recipe for the next ingredient but love it so hope someone posts one for us!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SPAGHETTI SQUASH 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mushroom and Garlic Sauce

Featured Ingredient:  SPAGHETTI SQUASH

My adaptation of a recipe by poster @poobear1 on these forums from several years back--without cream--as well as some other online sites 

1 pound of white button mushrooms

6 cloves minced garlic

1/2  to 3/4 cup chicken broth

couple of splashes of white wine

3 Tbsp flour

Unsalted butter

fresh sage leaves

fresh parsley

Slice mushrooms and saute in butter in a saucepan heated to medium high.  Add minced garlic and sage leavesand stir.   After a couple of minutes add the chicken broth and wine and heat on medium, then lower the heat to a simmer to reduce liquid.   Take some of the liquid out and thicken with flour and whisk briskly until smooth.  Return liquid to the pan and add a pinch of white pepper and parsley.  Reduce to the desired consistency and serve over steamed spaghetti squash.  Garnish with more parsley.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  PEARL BARLEY, RICE, OR COUSCOUS

Honored Contributor

This has to be one of my favorite RICE recipes....

Spanish RICE

3 tablespoons of oil

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 cup white RICE, uncooked

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 (14 oz) can chicken broth

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Heat oil in large pan on medium heat.  Add onions and garlic; cook 3-5 minutes or until onions start to soften.  Add RICE, stirring regularly until lightly browned.  Add tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, and salt.  Mix well, cover pan with lid and turn heat to low.  Continue to cook 10-12 minutes*...or until liquid is absorbed.

Serves 4-6.

* Allow extra time for liquid to absorb...I found it takes longer.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BACON 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walker   Thank you for this easy recipe.  I've loved Spanish rice since I was a toddler.  Truth be told--love any rice--even plain steamed white rice.

My mom used to buy it when it was sold in a can.  Then she found Rice-a-Roni and she then switched to that.  (I can eat the entire package by myself!)

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  BACON