8 Tbsp butter

black pepper

2 Tbsp paprika

2 Tbsp summer savory

3 to 4 bay leaves

3 Tbsp minute tapioca

4 Tbsps sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dredge the beef cubes in flour and brown in small batches in the butter in a skillet.  Brown the sliced mushrooms in butter till brown and soft.

Put beef, mushrooms, and remaining ingredients--except the sour cream--in a 9 X 13 inch casserole and cover very tightly with aluminum foil and then topped with a casserole lid if you have one.  You don't want any of your liquid to escape.

Put the casserole in the oven and bake for 1 & 1/2 hours (bottom round may take a little longer, depending on size of your cubes)

Remove from oven and swirl in the sour cream, to taste.

*Better than Bouillon is the brand I use.

Excelllent served over hot, buttered EGG NOODLES, strewn with poppy or toasted sesame seeds.  Some roughly chopped parsley is also a nice garnish.

Notes:  This is a recipe my mother made in the late sixties, given to her by one of the women she worked with in the office for 20 years.  The ladies were always swapping recipes.  

Another one I remember fondly is Hot Chicken Salad, but this beef casserole is the one that I've tweaked and fussed with over the years as I've made it too many times to count.  

It makes a really nice "brothy" clear gravy but you can easily thicken to a more traditional gravy if you like before serving it.  

Sometimes young children don't like the sour cream so you can omit adding it to the dish and serve it alongside and people can spoon some into their own portions.

By the way, I do this from memory now; the original copy, along with my mother's tweaks and mine over the years vanished long ago, so these are the measurements as I remember them.  I've never found the original Campbell's inspiration online.  I know the tapioca was in it from the beginning.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  SUGAR  

Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

This is an OLD family recipe and tradition to have  at holiday meals.  Plenty of SUGAR...no wonder it is so good!

BRANDIED CRANBERRY SAUCE

4 cups fresh cranberries (2 bags)

2 cups SUGAR

1/4 cup brandy

1/4 cup SUGAR 

Rinse and pat dry cranberries; discard any bad ones.

Place cranberries in a 9x13" baking dish.  Sprinkle with 2 cups SUGAR.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes; stir gently once.  Remove from oven.  Stir in the brandy and 1/4 cup SUGAR.  Let cool and refrigerate until serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... OREGANO, fresh or dried 

Honored Contributor

crispy oregano smashed potatoes with feta and lemon

204D415F-3075-49D0-8A8D-53FF41433EE7.jpeg

By halfbakedharvest

This potato side dish is packed full of flavor

prep time 10 minutes
cook time 45 minutes
total time 55 minutes
servings 6 servings
calories 264 kcal
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 pounds mixed baby potatoes
  • 1/2 of a lemon, cut in half
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
  • kosher salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 4-6 ounces feta cheese sliced or crumbled
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2. On a large baking sheet, toss together the potatoes, lemon, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a small pinch of salt. Transfer to the oven and roast 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove the lemon from the pan and then use the back of a spatula or a fork to gently press down on the potatoes, smashing them to about 1/4 inch thickness.

3. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and oregano. Spoon the mix evenly over the smashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan. Return the potatoes to the oven and roast another 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp. 

4. Meanwhile, finely chop the roasted lemon (peel and all) and add to a small bowl along with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the basil, and a pinch of salt. 

5. Drizzle the potatoes with lemon mixture and serve with feta. Eat!

Next Ingredient: GARLIC

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Way Cincinnati Chili

Featured ingredient:  GARLIC

2 lbs. lean ground beef

1 Tsp cinnamon

1 Tbsp cocoa powder

1 Tsp cumin

1 Tbsp cayenne pepper or 2 Tbsp chili powder

3 cloves garlic, left whole

3 whole cloves

3 bay leaves

2  15 oz cans tomato sauce

1 Tsp Worcestershire sauce

pinch of sugar

1  & 1/2 Tsp apple cider vinegar

1 small onion chopped, another onion for topping

Toppings:  chopped onion, shredded cheddar cheese, oyster crackers

Crumble raw hamburger.  Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a Dutch oven.  Add the crumbled hamburger and cook just until the meat loses its pink color.  Drain any excess water.

Add all of the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.  Then lower temperature and simmer for three hours.

Notes:  Serve over cooked spaghetti or chili mac pasta (I know serving this over anything other than spaghetti is sacrilege but I like it!) with the above-mentioned toppings served separately so people can choose their favorites.

Sometimes instead of just adding sugar, I also add a couple of splashes of cola or root beer, especially if I think the tomato sauce is a little too acidic.  This concoction is so much tastier the second day when flavors have melded together more.

Next Ingredient: POSTER'S FAVORITE HERB or SPICE

Super Contributor

AVOCADO AND EGG RECIPE

(This is an adaptation of a recipe from Meghan Markle, which was published in her former blog.)

1 ripe avocado (at least medium size)

2 raw eggs

EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL SEASONING (Sold at Trader Joe;s, also online and probably in other places)

Slice and remove the pit from the avocado and scoop out a couple of tablespoons from the middle of each avocado half. Place avocado halves in a small baking dish.  Crack the eggs and carefully pour an egg into each of the halved avocado cavities, trying to slide the egg yolk out first. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until desired consistency of the eggs is reached. After baking is finished, sprinkle with EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL SEASONING. I have found it helpful to line the baking dish with aluminum foil in the event there is  any "spilled over" egg white, which may be hard to remove from the dish after it has been baked.

NEXT INGREDIENT: Canned garbanzo (chick pea) beans

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 Thank you so much for the chili recipe. I've got it on the meal plan for this week since my husband loves chili without the beans.  He said real chili doesn't have beans in it lol. Must be a Texas thing. 

This is a super easy recipe that you can also use as a sandwich filling. 

Mashed Chickpea Salad with Dill & Capers
This creamy yet light vegan salad is full of bright, herby goodness. On its own, it's great to serve alongside a sandwich or veggie burger in place of potato salad or coleslaw. You can also make it into a light lunch by adding a handful of arugula to enjoy it as a green salad. Double the recipe and refrigerate to have on hand throughout the week.
Active:
10 mins
Total:
10 mins
Servings:
Mashed Chickpea Salad with Dill & Capers
Ingredients
  • 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed
  • ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
  • ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice or more to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
Directions
  • Step 1

Place chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel. Fold the towel over and gently rub the chickpeas to release any loose skins. Discard the skins; transfer the chickpeas to a medium bowl. Mash the chickpeas with a fork. Add celery, mayonnaise, dill, scallion, capers, lemon juice and pepper; stir until well coated.

Tips

To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Nutrition Facts
186 calories; protein 4.9g 10% DV; carbohydrates 16.1g 5% DV; exchange other carbs 1; dietary fiber 4.5g 18% DV; sugars 2.9g; fat 11.7g 18% DV; saturated fat 1.1g 6% DV; vitamin a iu 92.7IU 2% DV; vitamin c 2.1mg 4% DV; folate 33.6mcg 8% DV; calcium 36mg 4% DV; iron 0.8mg 4% DV; magnesium 18.5mg 7% DV; potassium 109.8mg 3% DV; sodium 262mg 11% DV.

Next Ingredient: POMEGRANATE SEEDS
Honored Contributor

The recipe game seems to be stuck here.  As luck would have it, I just saw this recipe in Ina Garten's new cookbook.  Cheers!

POMEGRANATE Gimlets

1 1/2 cups gin, such as Tanqueray

1 cup Pomegranate juice, such as Pom Wonderful

1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (6-8 limes)

1/2 cup simple syrup*

POMEGRANATE SEEDS, for garnish

6 lime slices, for garnish

At least one hour before serving, place six martini glasses in the freezer.  Combine gin, pomegranate juice, lime juice and simple syrup in large pitcher.  Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice and add the drink mixture until shaker is 3/4 full.  Shake for full 15 seconds.  Pour the mixture into frozen martini glasses and garnish with teaspoon of POMEGRANATE SEEDS and slice of lime.  Repeat with the remaining drink mixture and serve ice cold.

* For simple syrup, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup of water in small pot and heat just until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear.  Refrigerate until cold.

NEXT INGREDIENT ....MAYONNAISE

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pimento Cheese (plain)

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 lb extra-sharp Vermont white Cheddar
  • 1/2 lb extra-sharp aged NY (orange) Cheddar
  • OR 1 lb of your favorite Cheddar
  • 1 (7-oz) jar pimentos, drained and finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise

PREPARATION

1. Finely grate cheeses into a large bowl. Stir in pimentos with a fork and salt to taste.
    Then stir in mayonnaise, mashing mixture with fork until relatively smooth. (It should be flecked with small pieces of pimento.)
  2. Put spread into a crock or jar and chill, covered, at least 2 hours to allow flavors to develop. 
  3. Will keep for a week, covered in the fridge!

Yields about 3 cups.

This is your basic Pimento Cheese.  Suggestions to add include:  Grated onion and/or garlic.  Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, cream cheese, smoked paprika, finely chopped bacon or ham.  Make it your own.  Start with the basic!  Makes great appetizers on bread or crackers or veggies!

Next ingredient:  Greens (collards, turnips, kale,etc)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Potato, KALE and Kielbasa Soup

This is a delicious cold weather soup.  If you are lucky enough to still have kale in your garden, it's even better! Just a note about leeks:  You will need to clean these of sand and dirt.  The best way I have found is to slice them up for the recipe and float the pieces in water - agitating the water as you go.  The sand will sink to the bottom and the leeks will float to the top.  Scoop them out of the water when ready to add to pot.

Ingredients:

6 cups chicken broth

2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes 1 bay leaf  

2 tablespoons butter

1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into ½ inch pieces

2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thin crosswise.

1 bunch of KALE - stems removed and leaves cut crosswise into ¼ inch strips. (The amount of kale you use is up to you)

cup milk

Black pepper

Unless you are using your own chicken stock and have not added salt to it, no salt is required (unless you want to add a pinch with the kale).  Trust me, no salt.

Directions:

Bring broth, potatoes and bay leaf to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender - about 25 minutes.  Discard bay leaf.  Using potato masher, coarsely break up potatoes, leaving some large chunks if desired.  Meanwhile, melt butter in Dutch oven or any heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.  Cook sliced kielbasa, stirring frequently, until lightly browned in spots - about 4 minutes.  Add leeks and cook until soft - about 4 minutes.  Add the kale, pepper and a pinch of salt if desired, and sauté about 4 minutes. (The kale will at first fill up your pot, but don't be afraid, it will shrink down as it cooks.)  Add potato mixture to Dutch oven (without the bay leaf) and simmer until kale is tender - about 15 minutes.  Also add a cup of milk at the end and return to a brief simmer (do not boil). Note: You can spice up this soup by adding hot pepper seeds to the melted butter.

Next Ingredient: Peanut Butter

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

20 Minute Spicy Baked Peanut Ginger Chicken 

PREP TIME5 minutes            COOK TIME20 minutes         TOTAL TIME25 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken (2-3 chicken breasts), cut into bite sized cubes
  • 1/4 cup warm water (microwaved for 1 minute)
  • 1/4 cup smooth/creamy peanut butter
  • 1tsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced,
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger (or 3/4 tsp ground ginger)
  • 2 Tbsp hot sauce or chipotle sauce (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce

Instructions

  Preheat oven to 375

  Cut up chicken and place in a baking dish.

  In a microwave safe bowl, microwave water for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and add remaining ingredients through soy sauce (peanut butter, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, hot sauce and soy sauce). Whisk to combine.   

Pour over chicken in baking dish.

  Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving.

  For slow cooker/crock pot instructions: add chicken to a crock pot, make sauce and pour over chicken, cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is done.

Next ingredient:  Walnuts