Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@dex wrote:

I love oven roasted potatoes..you could make potato salad or bake them whole and make baked stuffed potatos

@dex

Unfortunately, new potatoes are not bakers.

@sfnative  Scalloped potatoes, sliced and fried until crispy, potato salad, a warm potato salad, chunked and roasted, and on and on.   

Esteemed Contributor

Easy Scalloped Potatoes With Cheese

1 8 Ounce Package Cream Cheese

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

1 Cup Fat Free Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth

3 Pounds Red Potatoes (About 9) thinly sliced

1 6 Ounce Package Smoked Ham, Chopped

1 8 Ounce Package Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided

1 Cup Frozen Peas

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix cream cheese, sour cream and broth in large bowl until blended.  Add potatoes, ham, 1 3/4 cups cheese and peas; stir gently to evenly coat all ingredients.

Spoon into a 9x13 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining cheese.

Bake 1 hour or until casserole is heated through and potatoes are tender.

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative You're very welcome. They are absolutely delicious! Yes, kids will  love them. They're my "go to" potatoes for a lot of meals. I mix they carefully with a spatula so as not to mash them too much. You can even finely grate parmasan cheese over them too. :-)

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883@CareBears@mousiegirl@Just Bling@candys mine

I have a feeling I didn't pick up all contributors, but would like to thank everyone who gave my delima some thought and responded with ideas and/or recipes.

Clearly, I'm set for Easter and am very thankful.  Thanks to all of you for helping out.

XXX

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative You're very welcome!  Happy Easter!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@sfnative You're very welcome!  Happy Easter!

@Mimi 1883

I hope you had a wonderful Easter, too.  One of the recipes provided was chosen, mostly because it would be served with fried chicken (done by me) and corned beef (done by my husband).  Though I can't put a name to the recipe provider at this moment, I'll will do that another day.  It was indeed a great hit, as nearly all of it was gone: everyone went back for seconds.

Though the end of a solemn time for us, a day of great celebration, I'm thankful it's over, as I've been cooking and baking for not only the western Easter, but Orthodox Easter as well and have been ill since Thursday.  I can but squeak out a bit, when I try to talk.  Maybe my appointment with the doc on Tuesday will be short.  LOL!

Here's to a wonderful week for you!  It's nice to be able to get busy in the garden again, isn't it.  Our backyard has been totally cleared in anticipation of a brand new fence and deck this year.  Since I want to place Japanese features in my new garden, I'll have some time to do that now.

Respected Contributor

@ sfnative, sso you garden too? Wow! 

I am generally the kiss of death to plants, but one great plant I have had success with are potatoes. I have these grow bags that are porous: throw seed potatoes in, mound with good soil and water-I'm pseudo good at remembering to do that. In cold climates, throw 'm in your garage!

I live in South Florida, but with staggered plantings, I can pretty much get new potatoes any time!

Have you ever had potato leaves? I love them!

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@ sfnative, sso you garden too? Wow! 

I am generally the kiss of death to plants, but one great plant I have had success with are potatoes. I have these grow bags that are porous: throw seed potatoes in, mound with good soil and water-I'm pseudo good at remembering to do that. In cold climates, throw 'm in your garage!

I live in South Florida, but with staggered plantings, I can pretty much get new potatoes any time!

Have you ever had potato leaves? I love them!

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Yes, I garden.  It's rather a requirement on my Dad's side of the family.  Lots of green thumbs there.  But this time, with a blank canvas, I'll be able to give full attention to my long wished for Japanese features.

No, I have not eaten potato leaves.  Do you steam them?  Quick saute in a bit of oil and garlic?  Interesting.  An aunt in Michigan is crazy good with those hanging planter bags.  Has wonderful luck with them, too.  Didn't know you could use them for potatoes.  Will have to look into that, as I'd never grow tomatoes: too irritating for the lining of the gut.

Take care.

Respected Contributor

They were sold here a year or so ago-but everybody has them. If you look for grow bags, you'll find them.

I've read all kinds of creative things people have used: clay pots on balconies....dark, plastic garbage cans....I love the smell of the flowers. And yes, you can steam, salute: I was introduced to the leaves by a Vietnamese friend...

Hugs,

Poodlepet2