Honored Contributor

@Carmie  @mare54  I did find a recipe that allows for being in the frig overnight, then removing and letting rise before baking, so if I make it, and remember, I will post the outcome. 

Trusted Contributor

@mare54

Gracious, today is Nostalgia Day on this Forum for me -- first Potato Candy and now Monkey Bread.  I still remember the first time I tasted it.  Here's the recipe I got then, I even kept the date I added it to my recipe file:

MONKEY BREAD   (04-08-81)

4 cans of biscuits, quartered

1-1/2 sticks butter

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Boil butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 cup of sugar to make syrup. (Keep warm.)  Boil for 2 minutes.

Mix together 2/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Roll 2 cans of quartered biscuits in cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Put in well-greased bundt pan.  Pour 1/2 syrup mixture.over biscuits.

Repeat process with other two cans of biscuits. Pour remaining syrup over biscuits.  Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes only, then remove from pan and serve warm.  This is a “pull apart” bread.

Note: These are even better with chopped nuts added to the layers.  This recipe could be halved and put in a loaf pan for a small family.

Honored Contributor

@mare54  @Carmie   I made it and it is yummy, and so easy.

Overnight Monkey Bread – Go Eat and Repeat

DSCF8138.JPG

Honored Contributor

@mare54  @Carmie  @Honeybit  I made this monkey bread last Christmas and it was scrumptious!

Orange-Vanilla Monkey Bread | The Pioneer Woman

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl  So glad you liked it. It really is an easy recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

@mousiegirl  So glad you liked it. It really is an easy recipe. 

@mare54  Do you let yours rise in the frig overnight?  If not, this seems to be the only difference between what I cooked and your recipe.  Mine did no rising other than in the frig overnight.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl  I don’t let it rise overnight. When I lived in Utah, I let it rise overnight..higher elevation. When we moved to Houston and I let it rise over night the first year, it was over it banks!  Maybe again about the elevation. Haha. So now I do a speed rise or get up early.  Yesterday Christmas morning, I got up around 5 and let it go. We cooked it about 10:30. We slept in. Our youngest daughter was the only one home for the holidays. She’s 25. She wasn’t about to get up at 6 like we used to. Haha. Anyway, never have raised it in the fridge. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I would try your recipe today but my baked items mostly get dry or hard. 

Honored Contributor

@Lorita Rutenberg wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I would try your recipe today but my baked items mostly get dry or hard. 

@Lorita Rutenberg  Monkey bread can be frozen in serving sizes, wrapped very well in saran wrap, then into a freezer bag, for a short time, not months and months, so it is said.  DH will finish it on sunday, so had to freeze what was left so it would last until then.