Honored Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

I was just thinking about this recipe the other day...I made these rolls many years ago but hadn't made them recently.  I do remember them being easy and very delicious!  These are so much less effort than traditional cinnamon rolls...by Christmas I'm exhausted and don't want to spend hours making cinnamon rolls.  These are so much less work but no less yummy!  I'm copying this down and making them this year...thanks for posting!

@lOVETOSHOP

Cinnamon rolls are easy. I just have DH make them LOL!!!

We make the dough in the bread machine so it's less work.

Honored Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

This is a recipe I have been making now for over 30 years. It's a Christmas morning tradition. So easy - ENJOY!!! and Merry Christmas!!

18-20 frozen rolls (Rhodes)

1 package of COOK AND SERVE Butterscotch Pudding**

1 stick of butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Spray a bundt pan really, REALLY well. Put the rolls in the pan and sprinkle the pudding over the rolls. Melt butter and sugar together - add cinnamon. Pour over rolls then sprinkle the nuts over that. Let rise overnight or for 5-6 hours. Until the rolls are even to the top of the bundt pan.

Bake at 350 for about 18 miniutes. I have a large Christmas platter that I place over the pan and immediately flip over onto the platter. ENJOY!! SO SO YUMMY!!!

**Instant pudding WILL NOT WORK. The rolls will not rise. I have made this mistake...not cool. Kids were very disappointed.  

@mare54  Can it be put into the refrigerator to rise overnight?  If so, once removed, should it come to room temperature or right into the oven?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I make monkey bread from Rhodes bread dough, not the rolls.  My recipe is the same without the pudding mix.

i pinch one inch pieces of dough off and roll into balls, dip the balls into butter and roll in cinnamon sugar and place in bunt pan...sprinkle with nuts and bake. 

My family loves it and it is so easy.

i will have to try next time with the pudding mix.

@Carmie  How many loaves of bread dough do you use?

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl I don't know about the refrigerator. I don't think it would work that way, but you wanted to do it, go ahead.  I usually do a speed rise method. Heat up the oven to 200 then immediately turn it off. Wait maybe 10-15 minutes and put mine in. It usually rises within an hour or so. 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie The pudding just adds extra gooey sauce. Between the melted butter and brown sugar, the pudding just makes it extra good and gooey!! I think once you try it, you'll really like it. And best served hot!  Enjoy...

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I have a big bunt pan and use two loaves.  By the time it comes out of the over, it has puffed over the top of the pan. When I turn it out on a plate upside down, it is wonky looking.

if I wanted a pretty presentation, i'd probably use 1 and 3/4 loaves...and make a few dinner rolls with the left overs.

When I make it, it is gone before it even reaches room temperature.

You do not have to fill the bunt pan.  You could make it with a half a loaf if it is just for a person or two.

I just roll i inch balls of dough in melted butter and cinnamon sugar and add nuts if I have them.  The recipe is easily adjusted.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@mousiegirl  I have a big bunt pan and use two loaves.  By the time it comes out of the over, it has puffed over the top of the pan. When I turn it out on a plate upside down, it is wonky looking.

if I wanted a pretty presentation, i'd probably use 1 and 3/4 loaves...and make a few dinner rolls with the left overs.

When I make it, it is gone before it even reaches room temperature.

You do not have to fill the bunt pan.  You could make it with a half a loaf if it is just for a person or two.

I just roll i inch balls of dough in melted butter and cinnamon sugar and add nuts if I have them.  The recipe is easily adjusted.

@Carmie  Thank you so much. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

@mousiegirl I don't know about the refrigerator. I don't think it would work that way, but you wanted to do it, go ahead.  I usually do a speed rise method. Heat up the oven to 200 then immediately turn it off. Wait maybe 10-15 minutes and put mine in. It usually rises within an hour or so. 

@mare54  Thank you. Smiley Happy  I was trying to come up with a way not to have to do the work on Christmas morning, so I could have it ready the day before, and cook in the morning.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mare54 wrote:

@mare54  Thank you. Smiley Happy  I was trying to come up with a way not to have to do the work on Christmas morning, so I could have it ready the day before, and cook in the morning.

My dough rises in the fridge overnight.  I have never had a problem doing it that way.

Honored Contributor

You guys are making me hungry for Monkey Bread. DH is making some today. The dough is in the bread machine. He uses the Basic Sweet Dough recipe from the Bread Machine Magic cookbook.