Valued Contributor

I have seen two recipes for Mexican lasagne using uncooked lasagne noodles, baking covered for 60-65 minutes.  Does anyone have experience with doing this and do the noodles get cooked properly this way?  I have the regular noodles, not the kind you are not supposed to cook.  Likewise, is anyone has a good recipe that cooks the noodles first, I would appreciate baking instructions.  Many thanks!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Mexican Lasagne Question

I use the Barilla lasagna noodles and the recipe on the back of the box . It calls for uncooked noodles and the recipe comes out great every time. I cover the pan with foil and the cook time is about an hour.

Honored Contributor

This is the only way I've ever made lasagna.  I also use the recipe on the box.  People say it's good so I guess I'm doing okay.  Not big on Italian food. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I used to make it often, but used flour tortillas between the layers.  It didn't keep its shape, but we didn't care.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Once you use uncooked lasagna noodles you will never go back. Just follow the recipe to the letter especially about how much liquid to use, whatever the liquid is.

Honored Contributor

I made Lasagna that way for years (with uncooked noodles) for my Dad especially and it turned out great every time. Easy peasy too....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much; gonna make it tomorrow.  Looks like I cover the dish with 2 c. of water and salsa and then cover and bake so I guess the water will cook the noodles.  How easy and one less saucepan!!

Honored Contributor

Specifically for Mexican Lasagna, I use tortillas.
For "regular" lasagna, I haven't boiled a noodle in over 30 yrs.  Before actual "no boil" lasagna noodles were introduced to the market, I was just using the regular noodles.  I add a little extra liquid to my sauce mixture, layer as normal, cover the pan with foil, bake for about 45 mins. or so, then add a little more cheese to the top and back another 10 - 15 mins. while the other cheese melts.

I don't boil frozen ravioli either.  I like cheese ravioli with meat sauce.  Just pour the frozen ravioli in a baking dish, cover with sauce, cover the pan with foil, and bake until done.

Respected Contributor

I use corn tortillias. They hold up better than the flour type and add great flavor too.