Valued Contributor

I wrap the cubes in wax paper and hammer(yes, hammer) into a fine powder to add to things like this.

I don't think the granules are as flavorful. I do use them at times though.

For many things I use Better than Broth but it would not work on potato cakes.

Valued Contributor

I wrap the cubes in wax paper and hammer(yes, hammer) into a fine powder to add to things like this.

I don't think the granules are as flavorful. I do use them at times though.

For many things I use Better than Broth but it would not work on potato cakes.

Valued Contributor

Ugh! sorry about that double!

Trusted Contributor

When I make potato pancakes from mashed potatoes I add some very finely minced onion and an egg. Then I lightly coat them with flour, salt and pepper them, and fry in butter. Not the healthiest food, but so delicious! When I was a child I thought of these as dessert!!! lol...

Member Since 11/20/2008
Trusted Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Divine said:

When I make potato pancakes from mashed potatoes I add some very finely minced onion and an egg. Then I lightly coat them with flour, salt and pepper them, and fry in butter. Not the healthiest food, but so delicious! When I was a child I thought of these as dessert!!! lol...

I will try your recipe. Thanks Divine.

Super Contributor

I find that matzo meal works better than flour. Matzo meal can be purchased anytime of the year. It's a staple in Jewish cooking, not just for Passover. It's very binding and acts like flour, but better.

Super Contributor

Also, another way to eat mashed potatoes... mix with an egg and flour (or matzo meal) and you can add onion, but put in a round or square cooking pan of your choice and bake in the oven. The top gets brown and crisp and the potatoes in the middle are firm and light. You can also add a 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar which will make it rise also.

This is much easier than frying pancakes.

New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

My husband lost his Mother during his early twenties and he remembered some of her recipes. I loved the potatoe pancakes. I'm sure I would have loved her too and wish I had been blessed to meet her. Anyway, here goes:

-Left over mashed potatoes

-Left over turkey

-Mix mashed potatoes and turkey bits, form into potatoe pancakes

-Coat them with flour, salt, and pepper.

-Fry in hot frying pan with a little oil

-Waited until each side was nicely crisp and brown

-Used leftover turkey gravy and served with green beans, a salad, and a roll.

Very tasty! I hope this helps.

I lost him September 2012 but have many beautiful memories and lessons learned (including his Mothers recipes).

Off topic: My Father-in-Law shared a recipe for small cheese bits to snack on. I lost it and would like to ask if anyone can share their recipe. This is what I remember:

-shredded sharp cheddar cheese

-rice krispies

-paprika

-flour

-butter

and I can't remember the rest of the ingredients. He baked them in the oven. He might have added pecan bits, not sure...it has been over 25yrs. If anyone has a recipe close to this, please share. Thank you and God Bless.

Respected Contributor

Could it be Crispy Cheese wafers? I have added chopped toastd pecans to these many times, and sometimes paprika, but here is the basic recipe:

1. 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
  2. 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  3. 2 cups all-purpose flour
  4. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  5. 1/2 -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  7. 2 cups crispy rice cereal
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat the butter and cheddar at medium speed until combined. Add the flour, cayenne, garlic and salt and beat until a crumbly dough forms. Add the rice cereal and beat briefly to combine.
  2. Form tablespoons of the dough into balls; place on baking sheets. Using a fork, press a crosshatch pattern into the balls, pressing them into 2-inch rounds.
  3. Bake for about 25 minutes, until they are lightly browned;
Trusted Contributor

Mothertrucker those sound yummy thanks for sharing. I'm looking for Masher Potato Pancakes.