Respected Contributor

Re: Make your own baby formula

@Tinkrbl44   What is your problem?  What difference does it make?  

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44   What is your problem?  What difference does it make?  

@ninjawife 

No problem whatsoever.  Just a clarification, that's all.  

Have a nice day.  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@shoesnbags @I notice that my evaporated milk had different ingredients than it used to have. I don't think that this is a reason being given by experts but the newer recipe upset my stomach when I was using it in coffee. 

@Mindy D 

That's interesting about the ingredients.  I use evap. milk in my coffee too, and I haven't noticed any difference.  I use the fat free evaporated milk.  When did it change?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Finally, our TV station did a short interview with a local pediatrician about making your own baby formula.   

She strongly urged parents not to go this route and not to weaken formula to make it last longer.  A weaker formula means less nutrients - specifically electrolytes -  for infants tiny, delicate systems, which is serious enough to cause seizures.  

While in IGA today, I was curious enough to look at baby formula and there was a half shelf space full of both Gerber and Similac formula.  

Esteemed Contributor

I also didn't realize how expensive formula is now good grief.

Respected Contributor

Thirty four years ago, after my last child was born, I got sick and had to stop nursing him during his infancy.

Goat's milk was recommended, so that's what I used. Meyenberg goat's milk could be purchased fresh in any grocery store (So CA), and I bought the powdered form when traveling.

I recall being amazed that the baby's stools were identical to those of a breast fed baby...and they weren't odiferous either. 

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

What I have found surprising was that there are so many types of formula!   I thought there were maybe one or two, but apparently there are many. 

If a woman isn't breast feeding, how does she decide which of the multitudes would be best?  What considerations go into making that decision ... or does she just select what her MD recommends?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

The formula suggested by the pediatrician is usually the one fed to the baby while in the hospital nursery.  Sometimes it is the one, but depending on weight gain and whether the baby seems nutritionally satisfied, there might be a change in formula.   

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

Saw a TV news report yesterday about hospitals being very concerned about the status of some babies who are landing in their care in poor condition.

Two specific ones were babies unfortunately born with something called "short bowel syndrome" which prevents them from digesting regular formula.  It was described as a very serious problem that hospitals are facing if  proper formulations of baby food are not available.

The right formula for the right baby  is the right formula---apparently no exceptions when a baby needs it.

Any thought that babies can survive on Karo syrup mixtures and other homemade  solutions seems totally based on opinion, not science.

@novamc1 

I'm still shocked to think that people used to feed babies condensed milk and concentrated sugar syrup!   

(I also wonder if that contributed to an increase of diabetes in children?)

Yes, babies could "survive" on that mixture short term, I guess, but why would anyone feed a baby something with no nurtitional value?  Who would ever do that?

I was one of those babies fed sweetened condensed milk and water.  I was born six weeks early, and I am guessing that this is what I was fed in the hospital.  My baby formula recipe, written in the doctor's handwriting, is in my baby book.

I am now 61.  I have not been back in a hospital since I was born.  I have no chronic medical conditions, and I am not on any medications.  I am not diabetic, and I am not overweight.

But I sure do have a sweet tooth.  Even today, when I open a can of sweetened condensed milk for a recipe, I have to scrape out the can for a taste.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

Saw a TV news report yesterday about hospitals being very concerned about the status of some babies who are landing in their care in poor condition.

Two specific ones were babies unfortunately born with something called "short bowel syndrome" which prevents them from digesting regular formula.  It was described as a very serious problem that hospitals are facing if  proper formulations of baby food are not available.

The right formula for the right baby  is the right formula---apparently no exceptions when a baby needs it.

Any thought that babies can survive on Karo syrup mixtures and other homemade  solutions seems totally based on opinion, not science.

@novamc1 

I'm still shocked to think that people used to feed babies condensed milk and concentrated sugar syrup!   

(I also wonder if that contributed to an increase of diabetes in children?)

Yes, babies could "survive" on that mixture short term, I guess, but why would anyone feed a baby something with no nurtitional value?  Who would ever do that?

I was one of those babies fed sweetened condensed milk and water.  I was born six weeks early, and I am guessing that this is what I was fed in the hospital.  My baby formula recipe, written in the doctor's handwriting, is in my baby book.

I am now 61.  I have not been back in a hospital since I was born.  I have no chronic medical conditions, and I am not on any medications.  I am not diabetic, and I am not overweight.

But I sure do have a sweet tooth.  Even today, when I open a can of sweetened condensed milk for a recipe, I have to scrape out the can for a taste.

@lynne6was7 WOW.  I would never do that!  Woman Embarassed

I get the stuff left on the underside of the lid. . . Woman Wink