Regular Contributor

Re: Made jam today....

[ Edited ]

@HonestLife

Thanks for your reply.  It really is quite easy.  It should take a hour or less.  Preparing the fruit imo, is what takes the longest.  I highly recommend you try it...any fruit.  Believe me you won't be sorry.  There is a BIG difference betweem ho-made jam and store bought jelly. 

BTW...I've made jelly just using bottled apple juice for apple jelly. I have also used Welch's grape juice for grape jelly.  YUM!!

Valued Contributor

Re: Made jam today....

[ Edited ]

@Silverfox1  Is there a "cookbook" of sorts to help me get started you can recommend? Is making a "butter" a whole different realm? I have always enjoyed the jarred Apple, pumpkin, cranberry butters. 

Regular Contributor

@HonestLife 

The recipes are right inside the box.  They are very easy to understand.IMO I also believe they have a website...just google it.  I know American's Test Kitchen has a cookbook but many people feel their instructions are too long. If you can read thru some of the "stuff" they are excellent recipes.  However, I have found most cookbooks on this subject do not use Sure-Jell or another one is Certo.  Both are about the same.  I believe one of the other posters used Certo to make her jelly. @JustBling used another Sure-Jell in which you use less sugar and is excellent too.  BTW, if you read the recipe I posted for Peach Jam, I hope  you found it easy to understand. I have made apple butter and also found that easy too.  It's been years but if you would lijke that recipe Iwould be happy to find it and give it to you.  Just let me know.

The same goes for other fruits and juices to make jams and jellies.  If you have any other questions, please give me a holler and I will be happy to answer.

@Silverfox1

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife : I received the Ball electric canner and the ball jam and jelly maker in July for my birthday. YouTube has great videos on both appliances. 1E15BCC3-7DAF-49CD-8E90-85ED12276740.jpegE239D13D-A135-4DFD-892C-2ABEBA9C7E4C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Silverfox1 : Sounds delicious. I use the sure jell low sugar pectin with great results. I have been busy making pepper jelly. As mentioned in my previous post really makes things easier for me using the electric water bath canner and the jelly and jam maker. I have QVC's Mary Beth Roe cookbooks and she has great recipes for making jelly with fruit juice which I have not done in years. But this summer friends and DH wanted homemade jelly and he made sure I had the equipment to make it easier. Years ago when I worked would make the 4 ounce jars of jelly and honey butter for Christmas gifts.

Valued Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Silverfox1 : Sounds delicious. I use the sure jell low sugar pectin with great results. I have been busy making pepper jelly. As mentioned in my previous post really makes things easier for me using the electric water bath canner and the jelly and jam maker. I have QVC's Mary Beth Roe cookbooks and she has great recipes for making jelly with fruit juice which I have not done in years. But this summer friends and DH wanted homemade jelly and he made sure I had the equipment to make it easier. Years ago when I worked would make the 4 ounce jars of jelly and honey butter for Christmas gifts.

Is your honey butter the same as Pear Honey Butter or is it sweetened butter? Our pears will be soon be ready to pick and ripen for my annual Pear Honey Jam canning.

Honored Contributor

@nomar : Your pear honey butter sounds delicious.I just mix together honey and butter.