Honored Contributor

anyone use this? I make it and use it in alfredo as DD can't handle dairy. It is quite delicious and have a great recipe for it but was wondering if I could thickend it up to use in a lasagna like you would ricotta? would you use flour or cornstarch to thicken it? It is sweeter than ricotta however as the nuts are sweet---but I think with the toms and all the savory things you use in lasagna it might be ok. Just wondering........

Trusted Contributor

Yes!  Lasagna bolognese uses a white sauce instead of ricotta.  I'm sure you could modify the recipe accordingly.  

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl ,

Another casserole that uses a bechamel (white sauce) is Pastitsio, a Greek meat and macaroni casserole.  There is cheese in the casserole but I'm sure you could substitute a dairy-free cheese instead.  The macaroni is the bottom layer, second layer is ground beef and the top layer is the white sauce.

Honored Contributor

@River Song ---yes I have heard of that dish, thanks----still haven't tried to thicken the cashew sauce. finding non dairy cheese has been very difficult and expensive ----what do you you do with it if it is awful tasting and most of them  are gross-----you toss it out--huge waste of money---think I saw Michael Symone make that dish--he is a chef on FTV and is greek --he made it with lamb----

Trusted Contributor

Re: cashew white sauce

[ Edited ]

@wagirl ,

I found two recipes in America's Test Kitchen's cookbook "The Complete Plant-based Cookbook" that might be helpful to you in your quest for a ricotta cheese substitute to use in lasagna.

The first is for Cashew Ricotta.  ATK suggests that it is a good recipe to use for tart fillings, pizza topping and cheesecake, but doesn't mention lasagna.

1 C. raw cashews

2 T. extra-virgin olive oil

2 t. lemon juice, plus extra for seasoning

1/4 t. table salt

Place cashews in a bowl, cover with water by 1 inch.  Soak cashews at room temp. for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.  Drain and rinse well.

Process cashews, 1/4 C. water, oil, lemon juice and salt in food processor until smooth (adjust consistency with additional water, if needed).  Season with salt, pepper and extra lemon juice to taste.  Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

This next recipe is the filling for their vegetable lasagna recipe.  It uses cooked cauliflower and cashews.

8 oz. cauliflower florets (2-1/4 C.)

1-1/2 C. raw cashews, chopped

2 t. table salt

1/4 C. extra-virgin olive oil

1 T. chopped fresh basil

Boil the cauliflower, cashews and salt about 20 minutes, until the cauliflower falls apart when poked with a fork.  Drain and let cool 5 minutes.

Process this mixture, oil and 1/4 C. water in a food processor until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add chopped fresh basil.  

As an aside, typical lasagna recipes add an egg to the ricotta filling along with parsley.  I don't see why you couldn't do that with the above recipes.

Honored Contributor

@River Song ---thank you for these recipes!!! I printed them out and will try them-Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@River Song ---thank you for these recipes!!! I printed them out and will try them-Woman Wink

I just purchased that ATK cookbook but haven't tried any of the recipes yet.  I hope the cashew recipes work out for you!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  I don't use cornstarch or all purpose flour in our lifestyle.  I use xanthan gum to thicken certain things.  A small amount goes a long way.  Sprinkle it across the top of your liquid cashew mixture, rather than dumping it in, and whisk in over heat. Cook a couple of minutes and it will thicken. 

Honored Contributor

What is a good source for Xanthan gum?  I have an anti-carb doc.

Honored Contributor

@depglass --think I got it off AMZ-----used to be able to buy it when the bulk things were availale in the stores but due to covid --they are gone--like to buy in small quanities instead of huge amounts--don't remember the price or quantities either