Regular Contributor

Made jam today....

[ Edited ]

Happy Labor day!  I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday.

Today my DH and I made peach jam.  From start to finish it took about an hour.  I haven't made it years but my 16 year old grandson asked for it and of course I couldn't deny him.

I followed the sure-jell  recipe which is quite easy.  From 8 medium size peaches I got a little over 5 pint jars.  I made it so it has small pieces of peach in it.  It is sooo good.  My husband can't stop raving about it.  He is scraping the pot, lol! The jars have to sit for about 24 hours so we can have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Next I plan on making blueberry for DH and strawberry for me.

Respected Contributor

My late mother used to make spiced peach jam and also strawberry. Yum. I miss it. Now I buy from the store. 

Honored Contributor

Lucky grandson.

Honored Contributor

It's been a while since I made jam.  I used to make grape and strawberry.  I use the CERTO recipe too.  My sister makes the refrigerator type and I make the old fashioned type.  Both are great.

Enjoy your jam.  There is nothing store bought that can compare.

Honored Contributor

Most store-bought jams are just awful.  You're smart to make your own.  If I had the fruit and ambition, I'd do the same. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

man oh man I wish I was your neighbor!sounds so yummy,especially on toast with a good cup of Java with a splash of skim.can you tell I'm excited about this?

Trusted Contributor

That sounds delicious.  Could you post your recipe if you have time.  Appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

@Silverfox1 

I made peach and strawberry last year.  I used the low sugar pectin and it turned out just as delicious as the full sugar.

Last year I actually went to fields and picked the strawberries, that was crazy, by the time I got home, the strawberries needed to be used immediately unlike the strawberries purchased in the store.

Haven't tried it yet but they say you can use frozen berries too.   My mom always made fresh jam, jellies, pickles, crabapples, pear halves, applesauce, plums and I think that was it.  We had all these fruit trees in the yard.  That canning kettle was a stationary piece in the kitchen for the months of July, August and into the early part of September.

So happy you had help, that makes it even better and you created new memories.   I remember doing some with my grandma but mostly with my mom.

I don't do anything close to what she did.

Honored Contributor

Re: Made jam today....

[ Edited ]

I just finished making a small batch of Strawberry Chia Seed Jam. Friday morning I'll be making keto bread or wonder bread chaffles, so we can have peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch! 

Valued Contributor

@Silverfox1  I've always wanted to try my hand at making jams/preserves, I just never had the time raising 4 children. Now that they're grown, I've been thinking about it more and more. I'm clueless as where to even begin. Thanks for the inspiration and enjoy your jams! I'm sure your grandson will!