Honored Contributor

Re: MARCH 2018 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@Zhills

Thank you. Those look easy and delicious for a weeknight treat.  My dH will love them.  I put crescent rolls on my grocery list for next week.

Next ingredient: Rice Krispies

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Gooey Bars

Bring to a good boil:

1 cup sugar

1 cup white syrup (Karo)

1 stick butter

Remove from heat and add:

1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix well.

Add 6 cups Rice Krispies

Press lightly in a 9 x 13 pan.

Frost when cool with 2 cups melted chocolate chips and 1/4 cup peanut butter.

Next ingredient:  Mandarin oranges

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_catwrote:

@Zhills

Thank you. Those look easy and delicious for a weeknight treat.  My dH will love them.  I put crescent rolls on my grocery list for next week.

Be aware!  Easy, delicious and very addicting!  Better get 2!

Next ingredient:  Mandarin oranges

Esteemed Contributor

Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad with Orange Vinaigrette Dressing

DRESSING:

1/2 cup Orange Juice Concentrate
3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

SALAD:
Baby Spinach
Red Onion sliced
Mandarin Oranges
Almond Slices
1 tsp Sugar (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Add all dressing ingredients to food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

Toast almond slices (optionally with sugar) over low heat until slightly brown.

Place Spinach on plates.

Top with Mandarin slices and onion slices.
Add toasted almonds on top.

Serve with dressing.

Next ingredient:  Chick peas

Respected Contributor

Lemon Tahini CHICKPEA Veggie Burgers

2 cups mashed CHICKPEAS with a fork, 3/4 diced red onion, finely diced, 1 grated zucchini, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp lime zest, optional, 3 tbsp tahini, 1 cup quick oats, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp  hot sauce ( optional ), 2 tsp each of garlic and onion powder, 1 tsp salt and pepper, ( optional, 2 tbsp peanut butter ).

I sometimes coat each burger right before cooking with panko crumbs or crushed ritz crackers.

Mash CHICKPEAS with a fork. I leave some of the chickpeas whole, so they will be a little chunky. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. With your hands, form 9 patties.  Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking oil and heat the pan on medium heat. Cook the burgers for about 10 minutes on each side. 

NEXT INGREDIENT: CARROTS

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Regular Contributor
8 to 10 Servings

2 lb. peeled carrots
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs (room temperature)
1/4 cup butter, softened
powdered sugar (for garnish; optional)

Put carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook carrots 30 to 45 minutes, until very tender.  Drain.  Heat oven to 350°.  Lightly grease a 2-quart souffle dish. Coat the bottom and sides with 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.  Set aside.  Put carrots in a mixing bowl and add the flour, baking powder, vanilla and 3/4 cup sugar.  Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add butter and mix well.  Put carrot mixture in prepared souffle dish.  Bake 45 minutes, until souffle is set in center when lightly pressed with fingertip.  Let cool 30 minutes on a wire rack.  Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired, and serve.

Next Ingredient:  Pie filling (any flavor)
Honored Contributor

Cherry Crunch

1 can cherry pie filling

1 small box of white cake mix

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup chopped nuts (I usually use more)

Spread cherry pie filling in a 7 x 11 pan.  Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the cherry pie filling.  Drizzle melted butter over the cake mix.  Sprinkle nuts on top.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Next ingredient:  cocoa

Esteemed Contributor

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa (I use Hershey’s)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • ¼ cup cocoa (Hershey’s)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1¾ cup hot water
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350ºF.

Measure flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and melted butter; blend in nuts if using. Spread batter in an ungreased 9-inch square pan.

Stir together brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Stir 2 teaspoons vanilla into hot water and pour gently over all.

Bake 45 minutes.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Next ingredient:  elbow macaroni

Honored Contributor

Jalapeño Popper Pasta Salad

INGREDIENTS
1 lb dried elbow macaroni pasta
1 cup canned jalapeños, chopped I prefer the mild version (can substitute with fresh chopped jalapeños as well)
1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed small (or shredded) (monterey jack or Colby jack are good as well)
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I like to use the canola oil mayo for a less calorie dressing)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp lemon juice fresh is best
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
generous pinch of black pepper
fresh parsley, minced for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Bring large pot of water to a boil, add generous pinch of salt and boil pasta per package directions. Drain, and rinse pasta with cold water until cooled.
To a small mixing bowl, add mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder and black pepper and whisk until smooth and creamy.
To a large mixing or serving bowl, add cooked and cooled pasta, jalapeños, cheese, and most of the bacon. Pour dressing over pasta and toss to combine.

Sprinkle with remaining bacon, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to fully combine.
Serve cold.

I like to  add a bit of melted butter to some panko breadcrumbs and cook in a dry skillet over LOW heat until fragrant and toasty. Before serving pasta salad, sprinkle the toasted breadcrumbs over the top.

45D1A144-8654-4309-9EC4-787B9B44DE3C.jpeg

Next Ingredient: SPRINKLES

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glazed Chocolate Cake with Sprinkles

My Notes**I have used all sorts of sprinkles and jimmies w/ this cake.

**It makes a SINGLE layer 9" round cake which is perfect for those of us that can't finish a larger double/triple layer cake!

yield  Makes1 (9-inch) cake

active time  25 min

total time  2 1/4 hr (includes cooling)

Alone, this cake is moist, tender, and elegant, the chocolate echoed by the glossy glaze. But let's put our cards on the table: The exuberant confetti of colorful sprinkles is what makes you want to dive right in. They're just so much fun. Indeed, this cake turns any meal into an occasion with a capital "o."

Ingredients

For cake:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs at room temperature 30 minutes
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup whole milk

For glaze:

• 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate (not more than 60% cacao if marked), finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • Colorful confectionary sprinkles and/or nonpareils

Equipment:

• a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan

Preparation

Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter bottom and side of pan, then line bottom with a round of parchment.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.

Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to medium-low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture (batter will appear curdled).

Transfer batter to cake pan and smooth top. Bake until cake begins to pull away from side of pan and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes, then invert onto a rack and cool completely, about 1 hour.

Make glaze while cake cools:
Bring cream to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, then pour over chocolate in a bowl and let stand 1 minute. Gently whisk until smooth, then stir in corn syrup. Cool completely, gently stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes (glaze will thicken).

Carefully peel off parchment from cake. Pour glaze onto center of cake and spread to edges with a spatula. Decorate with sprinkles and/or nonpareils.

358117_glazed-chocolate-cake_1x1.jpg

NEXT INGREDIENT:

RED PEPPER JELLY

*other than just putting it on cream cheese for a spread....if anyone has anything else!

Don't ask me why I have 3 jars in my pantry!