Honored Contributor

'Lazy Enchiladas' - the Latest Recipe Idea to Go Viral on TikTok

I know this is not a 'new' recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. Looks like a good alternative for Taco Tuesday dinner. Enjoy!!!

There are tons of creative ideas coming out of TikTok. But every once in a while, an idea pops up that truly speaks our love language—and this enchilada recipe does just that!

If you haven't yet heard of lazy enchiladas, allow us to introduce you to this incredibly easy dinner made with just three ingredients. Sounds too good to be true? We thought so too, but then we saw that 'lazy enchiladas' have racked up more than 19.9 million views on TikTok!

So, how do you make lazy enchiladas?

First, you'll need to gather the ingredients: a jar of your favorite enchilada sauce, shredded cheese, and here's where the lazy part comes in… frozen taquitos. That's it! Somehow when these three ingredients come together, they produce a cheesy, flavorful comfory food that everyone in the family can get excited about. And since it doesn't take much effort to make, it's perfect for when you're feeling… well... lazy.

To see how it's done, check out the recent TikTok video from Ana Regalado aka Salty Cochina who uses chicken and cheese taquitos, Mexican blend cheese, and canned green enchilada sauce.

She sprays a baking pan with cooking spray, then lays the frozen taquitos on the bottom in a single layer. She lightly sprays the taquitos with the cooking spray and bakes them at 400˚ for 10 to 12 minutes. Then, she removes the taquitos from the oven and pours two cups of the enchilada sauce over the top.

Finally, she tops it all with a good helping of shredded cheese and returns it to the oven to bake until it's all gooey and melted. As Ana says, "Everything tastes better with lots of cheese."

To make these lazy enchiladas your own, swap out the type of frozen taquitos you use (bean, chicken, or ground beef would all work well) and you can use green or red enchilada sauce. If you have a little extra time on your hands, consider making a big batch of your own home enchilada sauce to freeze for the next time you make this recipe.

To further customize this enchilada trend, you can top them with anything you like best! Ana suggests shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro, but you can also add sour cream, black olives, or jalapeños (for a hint of spice). Then, serve them up with rice, refried beans or any veggie sides you like.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

Re: 'Lazy Enchiladas' - the Latest Recipe Idea to Go Viral on TikTok

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl    You post the best recipes.

If you happen to make it let us know what your opinion is.

It does sound pretty good and am printing off the recipe.  We are having family visit us for a couple weeks in June and have been looking for easy and different dishes to make.   

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl This idea is interesting. I will be adding taquitos to my next grocery order. Our favorite enchilada sauce is queso sauce. It is very simple. Just mix some mild Rotel with cheese and melt together. I add a little milk to make it thinner like a sauce instead of a dip. I plan to do that with my taquito enchiladas. Thank you for sharing.

Respected Contributor

I came across this recipe awhile ago.  Sounds and looks delicious, and easy.  Will have to try making it.  

Honored Contributor

IDK - I make my own chicken and cheese enchiladas. 

But this looks interesting. I've never bought frozen taquitos. I might try them if they don't have a lot of added ingredients. It would make things easier!  Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do this with frozen burritos.  Not often but sprinkle the top with taco meat, sauce, and cheese.  Very good for a change and frozen burritos are still very reasonable

Honored Contributor

My question is, why not just buy frozen enchiladas?  Color me puzzled. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@Chi-town girl    You post the best recipes.

If you happen to make it let us know what your opinion is.

It does sound pretty good and am printing off the recipe.  We are having family visit us for a couple weeks in June and have been looking for easy and different dishes to make.   

@CoffeeNut - thank you! I will make it but not for a couple more weeks. Will post my experience/recommendations 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Contributor

I make this dish a lot.  I use the corn tortilla taquitos.  I used the flour ones once and it was terrible.  Since I cook for just me I used an 8x8 pan and had enough for two meals.  It's a fast easy meal and I use different toppings.

Regular Contributor

@Chi-town girl Thanks for sharing this idea. I have had Trader Joe's black bean taquitos in my freezer forever. Tried this last night and they came out delicious. Even my picky teen ate some (he refused to eat the plain taquitos).