Honored Contributor

This recipe brings back many memories.  It came from a 1945 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook my mother received when she was married.  This cake was our traditional birthday cake.  She would bake it, let it cool, put lemon pie filling between layers and frost with Buttercream Frosting....😋...yum!

Delicate White Cake

2/3 cup butter

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups CAKE FLOUR

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup water

4 egg whites, beaten stiff

1 extra teaspoon baking powder

Thoroughly cream butter and sugar; add vanilla.  Sift CAKE FLOUR with salt and 2 teaspoons baking powder.  Add this mixture to butter/sugar mixture.  Mix well.  Add water a half cup at time mixing well each time.  Fold in beaten egg whites and add 1 more teaspoon of baking powder.  Spray or grease/flour two 9" pans.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... WINE

Honored Contributor

French Steak Chateaubriand

This French Steak Chateaubriand is so easy to prepare. Perfect recipe for French-inspired dinner. I usually serve this for Valentine's Day but no need to wait!

Course Main Course
Cuisine French

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Resting time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes

Servings 4
Calories 415kcal
Author Iryna
Ingredients
    • 1 lb beef tenderloin
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
      tsp salt
    • ¼ tsp pepper
For Red Wine Sauce
  • 1 cup red wine dry
  • 1 small shallot minced
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp flour
  • 1 sprig thyme
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ tsp salt
    • Preheat the oven to 350 F.
    • Brush beef tenderloin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
    • Put a grill pan on a medium-high heat. When it's hot enough, place meat on a grill and sear it for 2 minutes from all sides.
    • Transfer the grill pan into the oven and let it cook for 15 minutes until internal temperature reaches 140 F. (See the notes)
    For Red Wine Sauce
      • Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan and over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent and slightly browned. Add wine and thyme. Bring to a boil and cook on a high heat until reduced by half.
      • Reduce the heat to medium low, add butter and flour and whisk constantly until thickens, about 3 minutes. 
      • Season with salt and pepper. Serve with steak

Notes
    I took the steak out of the oven at 140 F. At this temperature you'll have a medium rare steak.

If you want medium or well done steak, continue cooking it in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 155 F or 165 F accordingly.

Red Wine Sauce is adapted from bbaum.ru
    Nutrition
    Serving: 4oz | Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.6g | Protein: 33.7g | Fat: 23.2g | Saturated Fat: 8.6g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 889mg | Potassium: 545mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.5g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: Serve with a steak!

Next Ingredient: BELL PEPPER

Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2021 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Bean and Pasta Salad

1 can Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas), drain and rinse

1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drain and rinse

1 cup cooked elbow macaroni

1 cup frozen green beans, thawed

3/4 cup GREEN BELL PEPPER, diced

1/2 cup red onion, diced

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Mix all vegetables and macaroni together.  Mix together dressing ingredients well and pour onto salad ingredients.

Mix together and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.

(I have made this twice. I like it but then salads and pasta are my favorite thing!)

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... EGGS