Honored Contributor

Traditional BROCCOLI Salad and Dressing

1 lb. fresh raw broccoli florets

1/2 cup raisins

1 cup halved seedless red grapes

3 green onions, thinly sliced

1/2 cup grated Swiss or Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Wash BROCCOLI and cut tops into bite-size florets.  Drain well.  Soak raisins in cup of hot water for 5 minutes; drain.  Combine BROCCOLI, raisins, grapes and green onions in large bowl.  Add cheese, if desired.

Dressing:

3/4 cup mayonnaise

2-3 tablespoons sugar

2-3 tablespoons white wine or apple cider vinegar

6-8 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled

Slivered almonds 

Mix mayonnaise, sugar and wine/vinegar together.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Add to BROCCOLI mixture.  Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.  Before serving, add bacon and almonds on top or toss together in salad.  Serves 6.

(Recipe found in Best of the Best Soups, Salads, Sandwiches

Cookbook...have not had those books on Q for long time.)

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... OLIVES

Honored Contributor

Re: JUNE 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

greek-pasta-salad-14-768x1152.jpg

greek-pasta-salad-2-768x528.jpg

Greek Pasta Salad

Ingredients
  • 1 (16 oz.) box Barilla Rotini
  • 1 English cucumber, sliced into half moons (2 cups)
  • 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced then rinsed to remove harsh bite (scant 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup pitted black olives, sliced* (I'd use kalamata)
  • 1 green pepper (seeds removed), chopped (1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 5 oz. feta, crumbled (heaping 1 cup)
Dressing
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp honey
  • Salt, to taste
Instructions
  1. Prepare the dressing by whisking together extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, basil, garlic, honey and salt in a medium mixing bowl, set aside.

2. Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions, then drain and place on a tray until cool.

3. Meanwhile add cucumber, tomatoes, onions, black olives, bell pepper and parsley to a large bowl.

4. Add cooled pasta to bowl, whisk dressing once more then pour over mixture in bowl. Toss then add in feta and toss again. 

5. Thin mixture with up to 1/4 cup water. Chill up to 1 day if desired or serve right away.

6. *1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives may be subsituted

Next ingredient:  frozen vegetables, any kind

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat .....YUM!  I would like that salad for lunch today!  

I have a recipe for frozen vegetables but will give someone else a chance to share a recipe.  

NEXT INGREDIENT .... Frozen Vegetables, any kind 

Honored Contributor

@walker 

I agree with you - as soon as I came across the recipe, I added the ingredients to my grocery list.  

I always love your recipes and I'd be delighted if you posted your frozen veggies recipe.  I don't think anyone would feel slighted. After all, the best thing about the recipe threads is that they never end!

Next ingredient: Frozen vegetables, any kind

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK....here you go..could not decide...have more recipes..this might be repeat....easy and good...Crock Pot Recipe....good for pot luck or group gathering.

Cheesy Cream Corn

3 pkgs. (16 ozs. each) FROZEN CORN, thaw slightly to mix

2 pkgs. (one 8 ozs. and one 3 ozs.)* cream cheese, cubed

1/4 cup butter, cubed

3 tablespoons water

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons sugar

6 slices process American cheese, cut in small pieces**

Combine all ingredients in crock pot.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through and cheese has melted.  Stir well before serving.  Serves 12.

*  I can't find small cream cheese packages anymore.  I substitute           with half of 8 oz. package...or little less.

** I substitute Shredded Cheddar Cheese...about one cup...does not have to be exact.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... GROUND BEEF 

Esteemed Contributor

Million Dollar Spaghetti

Ingredients:

16 ounces spaghetti noodles
1/2 pound ground beef*
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage*
        *(can use all ground beef if preferred)

salt and pepper, to taste
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
24 ounce jars marinara pasta sauce
3 Tablespoons butter
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh parsley leaves for garnish, optional

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

1. In a large skillet cook and crumble the ground beef and Italian sausage and season with salt and pepper. Remove most of the grease.
  2. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until onion is translucent. 
  3. Add all but 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce (reserve 1/2 cup for the noodles) to the mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.

4. Cook Spaghetti according to package instructions, just until “al dente”.

5. Place hot spaghetti in a large mixing bowl with butter and 1/2 cup marinara sauce and toss to combine. Pour HALF of the pasta into a 9x13’’ pan.

6. Combine cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese in a bowl and mix well. Smooth over noodles in the pan. 

7. Top with remaining noodles. Add meat mixture on top and smooth into an even layer.

Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.

Freezes well.  Cook, cool, wrap tight & freeze! 

Next ingredient:  Thyme

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Zhills!  I used to make a very similar dish as this when my son was a young lad except I just called it baked spaghetti and I didn't include cream/sour/cottage cheeses or butter.  It was also a dish I would prepare for my church's ministry of feeding veterans living in a shelter.  My version also loaded up on veggies-- bell peppers, squash or zucchini, frozen green peas and occasionally mushrooms as it's a wonderful dish for cleaning out the fridge.  I try to always keep Great Value Chunky Garden Pasta Sauce on hand...... more veggies!

I will make your version with all the cheese and butter soon.

Next ingredient:  Thyme

Honored Contributor
Lean & Green Recipe Corner
Zuchinni  2

Crisp, tender zucchini sticks oven-roasted to absolute perfection. It's healthy, nutritious and completely addictive!

Baked Parmesan Zucchini

Ingredients:
* 4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.

Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan mixture. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the crisp and golden brown.

Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired..

Next Ingredient:  MUSTARD