Frequent Contributor

Instant Pot Chili Recipe Needed

I need a tried & true recipe that has a bit of kick to it - also plan to add beans. Yes, I have a couple of cookbooks, and ideas from the web, but the Q's cooks are prob the best - I am a moderate skill cook. Thanx.
Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot Chili Recipe Needed

The best chili I've made, after living for years in the Southwest, is that using William's Chili Mix in the silver envelope with the other similar mixes.   I can add heat to it as I  wish which is usually Hatch green chile.  I also add beans which is a traditional no-no, but I like them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Williams Chili Seasoning is very good and it doesn't contain salt if I remember correctly.  So many other packaged chili mixes are very salty and contain fillers/thickeners like flour.  Read the labels.

Honored Contributor

@Mary in MO   @Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili mix is the best mix I have ever tried--and we tried a lot of them!  It has packets of spices, chili powder and salt.  It does have a kick to it--but you regulate how much kick it has!

It is absolutely wonderful and you can modify it to your taste!  It is the REAL deal!  I measured the ingredients and now just use my own spices.  I love this stuff! 

Williams Chili powder makes a good chili, but it is not as rich or flavorful as the 2-Alarm chili. To me it doesn't really have a kick.

@Mary in MO wrote:
I need a tried & true recipe that has a bit of kick to it - also plan to add beans. Yes, I have a couple of cookbooks, and ideas from the web, but the Q's cooks are prob the best - I am a moderate skill cook. Thanx.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

My mother used Williams for every pot of chili she made.  It was so good.  I use Wick Fowler's usually but sometimes grab a packet of Williams for ole times sake.  Neither of us adds tomato to it.   Just the meat, packet and liquid.

And being from Texas, no BEANS!!!   Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mary in MO   @Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili mix is the best mix I have ever tried--and we tried a lot of them!  It has packets of spices, chili powder and salt.  It does have a kick to it--but you regulate how much kick it has!

It is absolutely wonderful and you can modify it to your taste!  It is the REAL deal!  I measured the ingredients and now just use my own spices.  I love this stuff! 

Williams Chili powder makes a good chili, but it is not as rich or flavorful as the 2-Alarm chili. To me it doesn't really have a kick.

@Mary in MO wrote:

In that case, look for Wick Fowler's.   You can make it as hot as you want.  It makes a great pot of chili. 

No beans, no beans.   Smiley Wink