Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Your questions/statement(s) does not make any sense.  If that is being snarky then so be it.

Ham & pork are one & the same ground up or not!

@Nomorebirthdays

Just to correct your statement:  Ham is pork, but a ham comes from a particular part of the pig....

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Your questions/statement(s) does not make any sense.  If that is being snarky then so be it.

Ham & pork are one & the same ground up or not!

@Nomorebirthdays

They might as well be different meats because they taste totally different. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac

Who's being snarky?????  Certainly not you.  Acttually, your initial response gave me a chuckle.  The last time I heard, any meat that comes from the pig is classified as pork. Hence, pork can be cured or uncured meat.  

Respected Contributor

If you open most recipe books, you'll find that ham is indexed separately from pork. Cooks and foodies know its origin, of course, but because it's such a different product, put it in a separate category. This post is about a ham loaf, after all. If the OP had posted about a "pork loaf," I'd be expecting a discussion about a meatloaf consisting mainly of ground pork meat. Ground ham is not the same thing.

I think I've added at least 20 cookbooks to my collection in a fruitless effort to find a ham loaf that replicates one made by a woman in a hotel I worked in as a teenager. She was a hardbitten, chain-smoking little thing, but she could turn out the most amazing comfort food. Her ham loaf was perfect. She used some kind of a glaze that you couldn't see (definitely not ketchup) that added just the right touch of sweetness to it. The recipe probably died with her.

Good luck, OP, in your quest.

Valued Contributor

@@Nomorebirthdays  Here's a recipe my neighbor shared with me years ago.  I've made it many times, but not lately.  Might be time to "dust it off" and make it soon.

1-1/2 pounds smoked ham

1/2 pound pork

Grind these two together if not already purchased ground.

1 c. bread crumbs

2 eggs

Mix and form into loaf shape.

SYRUP

1 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. vinegar

3/4 c. water

1-1/2 t. dry mustard

Boil syrup.  Pour over loaf.\

Bake 2 hours in 325 degree oven.

Baste occasionally with syrup while baking.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac, the OP's question made perfect sense.

She just wanted to combine fresh with cured pork.

There's cured pork: bacon, ham, smoked pork shoulder, prosciutto, pancetta, etc.

Then we have fresh pork: pork loin, pork chops, ribs, crown roast, etc.

So, if you're going to have a ham for dinner, you sure wouldn't buy 10 pounds of prosciutto, or a big package of pork chops.

It's not the same. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@noodleann. I use 3 lbs of ham loaf,  dry mustard, ground cloves, eggs, bread crumbs,  pepper, and a good at of brown sugar. Uncover in last 15 minutes to brown. It kind of makes its own sweet crust. I just do not measure to give accurate amts.

Trusted Contributor

@Blk&GoldFan. Thanks, it was the pork/ham I was iffy about. We butchered a lot of hogs, but my aunt did the sausage and ham loaf has passed with alot of stuff not passed on. I'll figure it out.

Go steelers?

I posted here what I use in ham loaf.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@sabatini

The OP made no mention of "cured" pork.  You can purchase ham either way.  OP did not specify.  Pork is pork is pork, cured or not. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

@sabatini

The OP made no mention of "cured" pork.  You can purchase ham either way.  OP did not specify.  Pork is pork is pork, cured or not. Smiley Wink

Duly noting your sigline . . . Cat LOL