Valued Contributor

French Onion is one of my all time soup!

Caramelizing Onions in a Crock Pot... by whispy
6-8 Vidalia or other sweet onion (worked just fine with those yellow onions in a
bag)- stem and root end removed, peel, leave whole
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
one 10 oz can chicken or vegetable stock (I mixed up some better than bouillon
chicken broth)
Place onions, butter, broth in slow cooker, set on low, and cook until onions are
deep golden brown and very soft, 12-24 hours. It's almost impossible to overcook
(direct quote from author) so for for the deepest brown.
Use the onions and liquid to flavor soup, stock stews. They make wonderful
additions to risotto, pasta sauce, and pizza topping (drain liquid)
Store in fridge up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for one year.

French Onion Soup ....by Robin

Ingredients

Use whispy's... Caramelized Onion recipe above pour in to a Dutch Oven Pot
Add:
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons paprika
1 bay leaf
7 (16 ounce) cans beef broth, divided
1 cup dry white wine
Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
French baguette
Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese

Directions
I transfer the Onion and broth to a Dutch Oven.
Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; saute over low heat 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
Pour in 6 cans broth, wine and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Dissolve flour in remaining 1 can broth.
Stir into boiling soup.
Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours or until the flavor is to your liking.
Better if refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top.

Pour into ovenproof crocks.
Top with a slice of french bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes.
Leftover soup can be frozen.

Note: I make my caramelized onions a day ahead and refrigerate until I was ready to make my French Onion soup.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

Oh this sounds so good, one of my hubbys favorites and he is home sick today. Wish I had all the ingredients on hand, it would be pefect for a day like this here in the north east. I will be saving this one. Thanks

Valued Contributor
On 2/13/2014 luvpoos said:

Oh this sounds so good, one of my hubbys favorites and he is home sick today. Wish I had all the ingredients on hand, it would be pefect for a day like this here in the north east. I will be saving this one. Thanks

luvpoos.... Since hubby loves French Onion, it would be a good Valentine's Day meal. I hope he feels better soon!

Respected Contributor
On 2/13/2014 Chicagoan said:
On 2/13/2014 luvpoos said:

luvpoos.... Since hubby loves French Onion, it would be a good Valentine's Day meal. I hope he feels better soon!

Good idea, I never even thought of that. Have a good V-Day yourself.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for this recipe. I love French onion soup and I'll make this recipe. I don't understand leaving the onions whole. When I have Fench onion soup the onions are always sliced--not a whole onion in the soup.

Respected Contributor

Hi Chicagoan........wow does this sound good. We love French Onion Soup so I have copied this recipe and will try it the next time I am going to make French Onion Soup. Thanks so much for posting it.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, this sounds sooooo good. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
On 2/13/2014 Rarity said:

Thanks for this recipe. I love French onion soup and I'll make this recipe. I don't understand leaving the onions whole. When I have Fench onion soup the onions are always sliced--not a whole onion in the soup.

They fall apart after cooking so long.

Valued Contributor
On 2/13/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Hi Chicagoan........wow does this sound good. We love French Onion Soup so I have copied this recipe and will try it the next time I am going to make French Onion Soup. Thanks so much for posting it.

Hi luvs... I hope your staying warm this crazy winter!

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the recipe Chicagoan. French onion is one of my favorites too. Cannot wait to try it.