Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 RECIPE GAME

So many good recipes this month and it's only the fourth!

Okonomiyaki

IMG_0047.jpeg
Prep Time: 10minutes mins
Cook Time: 15minutes mins
Serves 2

This okonomiyaki recipe is SO easy and fun to make! It's a frittata-like savory Japanese pancake with a cabbage hashbrown-like texture.

Ingredients

• 3 packed cups finely shredded cabbage, about ½ medium*
  • cups chopped scallions, about 1 bunch
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • ¾ teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

for serving:

• Vegan Worcestershire sauce, (Annie’s recommended)
  • Mayo, (Sir Kensington’s or Kewpie recommended)
  • Sesame seeds
  • Pickled ginger
  • ½ sheet nori, sliced**
  • ½ cup microgreens, optional

Instructions

• In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, scallions, panko, and salt. Gently mix in the eggs. (Note: the mixture will be very loose and cabbagey, not like a flour pancake batter. If it's very dry, let it sit for 10 minutes).
  • Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush the skillet with olive oil and use a ¼ measuring cup to scoop the cabbage mixture into the skillet. (It's ok if it doesn't seem cohesive, it'll bind together as the egg cooks). Flatten gently with a spatula so that the mixture is about 1/2 inch thick. Cook 3 minutes per side, or until browned, turning the heat to low as needed. Repeat with the remaining mixture, wiping out the skillet and brushing more oil, as needed.
  • Drizzle the okonomiyaki with Worcestershire sauce and thin strips of squeezed mayo. Top with sesame seeds, pickled ginger, and nori. Sprinkle with microgreens, if desired. Serve hot.

Notes

*I like to shred my cabbage on a mandoline to get thin, even-sized shreds. **Use scissors to cut nori into thin strips.

Next recipe starts with P

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

Hi.  No, it's not just you.  I have mentioned to my husband more than once how stinking long January has been.  It's like someone added an extra 10 days to it.  Recipe looks delish!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Hello!  When I first found the QVC forums back around 2006, I snagged MANY recipes from here.  I have them all (electronically) printed on recipe cards I made in Photoshop.  They are on my old computer.  My daughter has been begging me to transfer them to my current computer.  I need to do that.  I'll recognize the QVC recipes because wherever I got the recipe, I noted it under the name of the recipe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 10.09.29 AM.png

Dijon Grilled Pork Chops

from allrecipes.com

• 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

• 6 tablespoons brown sugar

• 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice

• 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

• 4 (8 ounce) bone-in pork loin chops

1. Mix mustard, brown sugar, apple juice, and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl until marinade is smooth.

2. Pour 2/3 the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork chops, coat with marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours to overnight.

3. Refrigerate the last 1/3 of the marinade.

4. Remove pork chops from bag and discard liquid.

5. Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.

6. Cook the pork chops on the preheated grill, basting with reserved marinade, until no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 145°. Let pork chops stand for 5 minutes before serving.

edited to remove link

Next recipe or ingredient begins with Q.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

GREEK QUESADILLAS

IMG_0048.jpeg

yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep: 20MINUTES MINUTES
cook: 10MINUTES MINUTES
total: 30MINUTES MINUTES
All the best Greek favors come together in this EPIC cheesy quesadilla, topped with an easy homemade Greek yogurt tzatziki sauce!
4.9 stars (14 ratings)

INGREDIENTS

• 8 8-inch flour tortillas
  • 1 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fresh dill

FOR THE TZATZIKI SAUCE

• 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 English cucumber, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint, optional
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

• To make the tzatziki sauce, combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest and mint in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld; set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Top tortilla with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives and cheeses, and then top with another tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 4 quesadillas.
  • Place quesadillas onto the prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 8-10 minutes.
  • Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce, garnished with dill, if desired.

Next letter is R

Honored Contributor

This is an OLD recipe given to my mother by a neighbor when I was young.  Today I decided to bring back some memories and bake these cookies. 😋 Recipe says bake approximately 15 minutes.  I did and found out oven today is warmer than years ago....first batch seemed a little dry.  Second batch I baked for 12 minutes...much better.

Oatmeal RAISIN Cookies

1 cup butter, softened (original recipe says shortening)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup RAISINS, stewed in small amount of water

drain and reserve liquid

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon all spice

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

6 tablespoons RAISIN juice (from stewing liquid)

2 cups oatmeal

2 cups flour

Mix all together.  Drop rounded tablespoons of batter on cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.  CHECK AT 12 minutes....lightly golden...done.

*** NOTE....I usually measure about 7 tablespoons of water in with RAISINS for stewing.  Then I just add the whole pot of RAISINS and liquid to batter...no draining or extra measuring.

NEXT ... RECIPE OR INGREDIENT USING LETTER S

Honored Contributor

Oh @tiny 2  my friend, thank you so much for sharing your Luminara story and trust me, if I didn't have to waddle down those stairs and out to the dumpsters my poor little lamp would have been making the same journey . . . when it finally dawned on me to look down and saw the plug just sitting there . . . oh that's why it's not working . . . geez . . . hee!  Smiley Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your help @Zhills  with @Tinkrbl44 question.  Much appreciate it! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is great in fall or winter, & I've simplified it over the years into an easy, one pot meal.

Bratwurst & Sauerkraut:  Brats 'n 'Kraut

1 package uncooked Bratwurst Sausages
4 slices bacon, chopped (easier if you toss in the freezer for 20 minutes)
1 chopped onion
1 half head cabbage, shredded
1 grated carrot
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
1) In a large, oven proof pot that has a lid, in a bit of oil, lightly brown bratwurst over medium-high heat. Just quickly, not enough to cook through. Set aside.
2) Into the same pot, toss in the chopped bacon and stir. Cook for a few minutes, then throw in the chopped onion. Saute/fry them together for approx. 4 or 5 minutes. It isn't necessary to crisp the bacon.
3) Add the shredded cabbage and carrot to the pot, the caraway seeds, then pour in the entire can of sauerkraut.
Stir the whole mixture together.
4) Raise the heat so that the juices in the pot begin to simmer briskly, stir again, pop on the lid and let the cabbage wilt a bit. It'll only take a minute.
5) Nestle the sausages into the cabbage & replace the lid.
6) Place covered pot in oven and bake one hour.

Serve with rye or pumpernickel bread & whole grain mustard.

Next letter is T.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@walker, I'm really interested in those oatmeal cookies! I've never plumped raisins for cookies before, & added their liquid to the dough.

Do they taste different than the typical oatmeal raisin cookie? 

An inquiring mind would love to know! 

Next letter is T.

Muddling through...