Honored Contributor

As we say good bye to January (is it just me or was this month just incredibly long?) and get ready for February, let me start you off with a valuable tip I just learned . . . lamps seem to work much better when they are plugged in . . . hoo boy, yes indeed I am glad January is almost over! Smiley Very Happy

February is as always short and sweet (yes that's a nod to Valentine's Day) and sporty (you know, THAT game) so let's share our favorite recipes for what I hope will be a short, sweet and successful month for one and all.  Many thanks to our friend @RespectLife for her delicious Honey Garlic Shrimp recipe and may I say in advance yum! . . . Smiley Tongue

Honey Garlic Shrimp

• 2 large oranges
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons reduced or gluten-free sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 32 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (18 ounces total)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
  • 2 scallions, whites thinly sliced, greens cut into 2-inch lengths
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Cooked rice, for serving
  1. Finely grate the zest from 1 orange, about 2 teaspoons.
  2. Juice both oranges into a bowl (you should have about 3/4 cup).
  3. Whisk in the honey, soy sauce, and vinegar with 1 tablespoon of water.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the orange-soy mixture to form a paste, then stir that back into the bowl with the rest of the orange-soy mixture.
  5. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
  6. In the largest skillet (or wok) you have, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium high heat until shimmering-hot, almost smoking.
  7. Add half of the shrimp, spread it out in one layer, and cook until the underside is bright pink, 1 to 1½ minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute more, then transfer the shrimp to a plate.
  8. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and shrimp. Set aside.
  9. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Add the garlic, ginger, scallion whites, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the orange-soy liquid and the strip of orange zest and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
  10. Return the shrimp to the skillet, add the scallion greens, and toss to coat with the sauce.
  11. Divide the shrimp among 4 bowls and serve with rice.

Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 8 shrimp with sauce    Calories: 180 calories  Total Fat: 4.5g  Saturated   Fat: 0.5g  Cholesterol: 85mg  Sodium: 666mg  Carbohydrates: 22g  Fiber: 2.5g  Sugar: 14.5g  Protein:   3g    Read more at  skinnytaste.com      

NEXT

I OR J

Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 RECIPE GAME

@momtochloe ....you make me smile when you take the time every month to keep this game going. You always do it in such a fun message too.   Would love to have you share any special recipes as well.  But, thanks for moving us along each month.  I probably speak for all of us....thank you.

NEXT .... I or J

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe," let me start you off with a valuable tip I just learned . . . lamps seem to work much better when they are plugged in . . ." LOLLOLLOLWoman LOL I made a similar discovery. Large heavy wax drip Luminara candles also work much better when there are batteries in the battery compartment. I discovered this on the way to the garbage can cursing the poor thing.Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

I'm not familiar with this game ... how does it work?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's just called a "game."  

It is a recipe exchange!  We are currently going down the alphabet just to refresh memory and make it fun!  No rule!

Post a recipe, using the Letter suggested if you have one, if not, just post a recipe for all to enjoy.

Welcome, and I hope you will post often!

P.S.  There are some awesome recipes on here to enjoy!

Respected Contributor

In our family, a gathering isn't complete until the clam dip comes out.

Don't be scared off. In all these years we've never met someone who doesn't like/love it, from kids, to teens and grown ups too.

New England Clam Dip

1 6.5 ounce can of Snow's chopped clams in clam JUICE

2 8-ounce pkgs Philly cream cheese, softened

1/4 C mayo 

1 heaping Tablespoon dried, minced onion
1 good sized clove of garlic
Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
onion & garlic salt
chopped celery (2 or 3 stalks)

1.) Whack the garlic w/ the side of a knife, then sprinkle on a bit of of the salts. Smash & mince completely, grinding until it's a paste.

2.) Into a big bowl, toss in the dried onion, and drain most of the clam juice onto it to rehydrate. (see **note) Set clams aside.

3.) To the same bowl, add the softened cream cheese, mayo, Worcestershire sauce & smashed garlic, and beat w/ an electric mixer till silky smooth.

Taste & adjust by maybe adding more garlic & onion salts, or a teeny tiny bit more Worcester.

4.) Stir in the clams & chopped celery & chill for at least an hour or more.

Serve w/ rippled potato chips, ... or wheat thins, pretzels, etc.

**NOTE: I sometimes hold back a little of the clam Juice, but will add it in if the mixture can handle a bit more loosening up. There's flavor in that juice.

Next Letter? K!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Shortcut Minestrone 

4  bacon strips, diced

1 large onion, chopped

3 medium carrots, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 jar (28 oz) spaghetti sauce

1 carton (32 oz) beef broth

1 can (16 oz) KIDNEY BEANS, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beams or chickpeas, rinsed

and drained

2/3 cup uncooked small shell pasta

2 teaspoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 cup frozen cut green beans

Grated Parmesan cheese, optional

In Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towels.  Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside.  In the drippings, sauté onion and carrots until tender, 3-4 minutes.

Stir in the spaghetti sauce, broth and beans.  Bring to a boil.  Add pasta, brown sugar, basil and oregano.  Cook, uncovered, until pasta is tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add green beans; cook until heated through, about 5 minutes longer.  Garnish with reserved bacon no, if desired, Parmesan cheese.

(Taste of Home Feb/Mar '24...BJ/WA)

NEXT ... RECIPE OR INGREDIENT USING LETTER L

Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember the former poster lavendersage? She shared so many recipes here, and the pictures that accompanied them were always beautiful.

Anyway, here is one of her recipes, as written, from back in 2011.

Chicken Salad Casserole

4 cups cubed chicken (I boiled 8 chicken thighs and used the broth from this)
2 cups diced celery
 ( I diced in very small pieces)
1 1/2 cups stuffing mix, divided
 ( I used a whole box of Stove Top's Savory Herb stuffing mix~ saved about 1 cup for the topping)
2 cups Miracle Whip
 (I used mayo and only 1 cup)
1/2 cup chicken stock
 ( I used the broth from the thighs and used more~ 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cup slivered almonds, divided
 (I used a whole 4 oz. bag)
1/4 fresh lemon juice
1 T grated onion
 (I used about 1/4 cup finely diced)
1 1/2 cups grated cheese, divided
 (I used part cheddar, part mozzarella)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, 1 cup of the stuffing mix, Miracle Whip, chicken stock, 1 cup of the almonds, lemon juice, onion, and 1 cup of the cheese and spread into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
In a medium bowl mix the remaining 1/2 cup stuffing mix, the remaining 1/2 cup almonds, and the remaining 1/2 cup grated cheese and spread over the chicken mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Serves 10 to 12.

Next letter? M!
Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini .... I've been around for several years and do remember lavendersage and her good recipes.  Thanks for posting her Chicken Salad recipe.

Next.....I just saw this recipe fixed on America's Test Kitchen.  I usually make and bake my meatballs but this sure looked easy and good as well.  No browning or baking needed....think I'll try it.  Long recipe but does not seem difficult.  Recipe is in a recent America's Test Kitchen cookbook.

Drop MEATBALLS

MEATBALLS....

22 square saltines

1 cup MILK

2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef

1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauce ....

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

10 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes

salt and pepper

3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

For meatballs...

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.  Place saltines in large zip-loc bag, seal and crush saltines fine with rolling pin...(approximately 1 cup).  Combine crushed saltines and MILK in large bowl and let sit for 5 minutes for saltines to soften.  Mash with fork until smooth paste forms.

Add beef, Parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper to saltine mixture.  Mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.  Roll about 1/4 cup of mixture into balls making about 24.  Place on large plate or tray, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  (can be refrigerated up to 24 hours)

For sauce....

Combine oil and garlic in large Dutch oven.  Cook over low heat until garlic is soft and golden on all sides, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Stir in tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt.  Nestle the MEATBALLS into the sauce.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.

Cover and bake until MEATBALLS are cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.  Let cool, uncovered, for 20 minutes.  Gently stir in basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Cook favorite pasta and serve with MEATBALLS and sauce.  Any leftovers can be frozen.  (After pasta cooked and drained, she mixed in two scoops of sauce to keep pasta from sticking...interesting.)

NEXT ... RECIPE OR INGREDIENT USING LETTER

Respected Contributor

Back in the winter of 2013 while snowed in after a blizzard, I got the bug to make noodles. Even my young son & his friend got into it, and for quite a few days we happily made & ate noodles!

*Tip:   I found that putting the liquid stuff into a pliable container - like an empty sour cream container was helpful when pouring it into the food processor.

Easy Homemade Noodles

2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons milk
2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Whisk together eggs & milk.
2. Put dry ingredients (sifted flour, salt & baking powder) into a food processor & pulse briefly to combine.
3. Into the feed tube, slowly pour the egg & milk mixture while pulsing. Stop when mixture comes together. (Basically as soon as you've poured all the liquid in.)
4. With floured hands, separate into two balls, & cover each w/ plastic wrap. Let sit for 20-30 minutes to allow gluten to relax.
5. Roll out dough on floured surface, cut into strips w/ a pizza cutter, and spread to dry a minute - dust with a little flour, if necessary.
6. Drop them bit by bit into gently boiling broth or salted water or soup pot - cook for about 10 minutes.

Other Tips: 
A food processor isn't necessary, but I just find it easier. The dough is VERY forgiving & easy to roll.
It's best to roll thin & cut the noodles thinner than you want, as they more than double in size once they go into the broth.
I tape a piece of parchment paper to my kitchen table, sprinkle on a bit of flour, & roll on that. 
When adding to soup, I sometimes boil the noodles separately in stock, then add them to the soup.
You can also add the floury stock to the pot.

Next letter is O!
Muddling through...