Respected Contributor

No eggs here either. I looove my stuffing! It's sausage, onions, carrot, celery, bread cubes, chicken broth and fresh herbs from the garden,  sage, rosemary and thyme- Soo good. It stays together, no eggs needed. 

Honored Contributor

I never had a dressing with eggs in it that I liked.  

I like all cornbread too, no other kind of bread or biscuits or whatever.  I use all chicken broth, or sometimes mix in about half a can of mushroom soup, sometimes not.  And Italian seasoning not poultry seasoning or sage. 

And absolutely no stuffing.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

Stuffing and dressing are such personal tastes. My mother made oyster or sausage stuffing. My Mil always put boiled eggs in hers. For me the boiled eggs was very odd. I think our tastes depends strongly on what we grew up with. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a wonderful recipe I make in a slow cooker that contains eggs.  They thicken and bind but are not detectable.   You'd never know they were there.

Kachina624 - could you post ypour recipe so I can see how it compares to my slow cooker recipe?  Thanks in advance.

Denise
Respected Contributor

I discovered last year hands down the best recipe ever, White Castle Burger Stuffing.  I was really skeptical at first but it was a huge hit!  I will be making it again this year.  If you Google this, you can ck it out and see some different variations.  

E9F55997-C75B-4D27-AA69-8CA296F85EF7.jpeg 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

I use my mother's recipe.  It has been passed down for generations and people go crazy over it.

It is made with eggs and milk, salt, pepper, onions,celery, white bread cubes and parsley and is cooked in a frying pan with butter before it is stuffed into the bird.

My family will not eat the dressing made with broth.  It does not taste eggy, just delicious.

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I just use Stove Top. I chop up celery and onion and cook in butter. Then I use chicken stock instead of water. Yummy. 

I've never heard of eggs in Stuffing.

———————

I do the exact same thing with Trader Joe’s dressing mix. We’ve been going out for Thanksgiving dinner the last few years, so I will get to make it again this week, yum!

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I have never used eggs or cornbread.  I use cubed bread and homemade chicken stock.

Same for me:  1 lb oven-toasted French bread cubes, 2 cups broth, 6 tbsp butter, 1 cup chopped onions, 1 cup chopped celery, 3/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 1 /2 tsp poultry seasoning, 1/4 tsp sage, and 1/4 tsp thyme.

Esteemed Contributor

Do a search for traditional Hungarian stuffing.

I had neighbors who were Hungarian and raw eggs in holiday stuffing or dressing were traditional fare.

It's a simple but very rich, heavy stuffing and I recall 6 whole eggs being used. Also served with pork loin. 

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have always made my mom's recipe.  Thought I would try something a little different but I see many recipes call for eggs.  I wonder if the dressing tastes "eggy" or do eggs just act as a binder?

@bargainsgirl  Eggs are a 'binder' - there is no egg-y taste. I use the same basic and ultra-simple recipe that my mother always used: seasoned bread cubes, sautéed/wilted onions and celery, fresh parsley, 2 eggs (beaten,) chicken broth, S&P, and poultry seasoning. It's my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal. 😋

F/N/A luvstogarden