Respected Contributor

I have always made my mom's recipe.  Thought I would try something a little different but I see many recipes call for eggs.  I wonder if the dressing tastes "eggy" or do eggs just act as a binder?

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

Eggs are a binder because cornbread crumbs are so small.

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl I would never use eggs for that very reason: an eggy taste. No thanks, I will stick with turkey/chicken stock to bind the ingredients.

Respected Contributor

My grandmother/mother's recipe doesn't have eggs.  We use day old bread cubes in ours, not cornbread.  

Respected Contributor

I have never used eggs or cornbread.  I use cubed bread and homemade chicken stock.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

I just use Stove Top. I chop up celery and onion and cook in butter. Then I use chicken stock instead of water. Yummy. 

I've never heard of eggs in Stuffing.

Respected Contributor

I think if it tastes eggy then you may be using too many eggs. I use egg in cornbread dressing to bind  it together. I think it would be too crumbly if I did not.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I have a wonderful recipe I make in a slow cooker that contains eggs.  They thicken and bind but are not detectable.   You'd never know they were there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Dressing/stuffing

[ Edited ]

our dressing recipe is at least four generations old......it is a very basic bread cube (some plain, some herb) dressing and it does contain eggs. i dont find it to have an eggy taste at all because it has so much juice from the turkey broth and the broth that  is created by simmering the turkey organs and the neck with some celery and onion. it is moist and not dry. it really is the best part of the meal. the next day i like forming it into patties and frying it.....then topping it with a sunny side up egg.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have always made my mom's recipe.  Thought I would try something a little different but I see many recipes call for eggs.  I wonder if the dressing tastes "eggy" or do eggs just act as a binder?

The eggs act as a binder and the dressing does not taste eggy at all.