Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone eat rice pudding anymore?

@SurferWife wrote:

I love rice pudding!  Yes, I still eat it when we have leftover rice.  I really like making it with coconut milk.

Never thought of coconut milk, I will try it. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Love rice pudding, my Husband was from Sweden and his Dad made it and showed me.  Delicious...still love to make/eat it.  He always put an almond hidden inside.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a version using cream cheese and powdered sugar.  It gives the pudding a rich, cheesecake-y texture and taste.  It isn't really "fast and easy",  but very tasty:

1 quart half and half

2 cups cooked arborio rice

1 cup sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1 egg, beaten in mixing bowl

1 tsp vanilla

6 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened to room temperature

2 tbsp powdered sugar

Constantly stir 3 1/2 cups half and half, cooked rice, sugar, and salt in big saucepan over medium heat with wooden spoon until thickened (about 1/2 hour).  Take off heat.

Whisk a spoonful of hot pudding into egg.  Whisk in 4 more spoonfuls of hot pudding.  Stir mixture in bowl into saucepan of hot pudding.  Bring pudding to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. 

Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup half and half, vanilla, and cream cheese.  Stir in powdered sugar until cream cheese is melted.      

Esteemed Contributor

@so so 

I love rice pudding, specifically "Rice Custard Pudding." 

The recipe I use is not a fast one.  It uses arborio rice, eggs, milk, etc. and is baked in a water bath.

Whenever I make it, a serving often winds up being my lunch!

Valued Contributor

I remember making rice pudding when I was an assistant cook in a Girl Scout camp for one summer.  HUGE amounts of it. Some of the counselors went out one night and got drunk. The camp director  went in the cooler prior to my getting to work one morning and found spoons stuck in the leftovers. This was in the 70s  - she was steamed. LOL 

Also had to grind cabbage every other day to make coleslaw to feed 100 scouts. It was years before I ate colslaw again. 

Honored Contributor

I just made some yesterday, we have it all the time. I use arborio rice, half and half, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla.

Honored Contributor

I love it but haven't had it in quite a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Making me hungry here! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

I love rice pudding,  I have it about one a month.  There's a a great restaurant in town, we sometimes have dinner delivered and I always order their rice pudding.  It's a huge serving, enough for the two of us.  They use a lot of cinnamon, reminds me of my mother's rice pudding when we were kid....except it's better.

Honored Contributor

My kids love it.