Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone eat rice pudding anymore?

@so so wrote:

I used to have a terrific, easy, fast rice pudding recipe but I cannot for the life of me find it... anyone have one to share?  family recipes are the best.  Smiley Happy

My mother used to make rice pudding when I was a child... This was 60 years ago...   I hated it then and I'm sure I would still hate it.... No thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

My mom and I used to go to the lunchenette at our local Kmart back in the 80's.  We'd split a cheeseburger and get their rice pudding.  it was the best!  

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I make rice pudding and tapioca in the winter.

Both I make on the stovetop. Rice pudding I make with whatever is on hand, not fussy at all. Cinnamon and a bit of vanilla. Never made it with eggs. Probably because I don't bake it. Never used a recipe.

Tapioca is more fussy and different varities. I tried pearl tapioca? Much too difficult for me. There's slow cook and instant? There are different varities at the bulk store I shop.

@Snowpuppy 

Since reading your above post about making rice pufdfing and tapioca,  I have  been thinking tbat s blending of the two desserts mignt be good.  tWell, oday, I found  a recipe for Tapioce Rice Pudding.   

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I make rice pudding and tapioca in the winter.

Both I make on the stovetop. Rice pudding I make with whatever is on hand, not fussy at all. Cinnamon and a bit of vanilla. Never made it with eggs. Probably because I don't bake it. Never used a recipe.

Tapioca is more fussy and different varities. I tried pearl tapioca? Much too difficult for me. There's slow cook and instant? There are different varities at the bulk store I shop.

@Snowpuppy,  

Since reading your above post about making rice pudding and tapioca,  I have  been thinking tbat a blending of the two desserts mignt be good.  Well, today, I actually found  a recipe online for Tapioce Rice Pudding.  I copied it and hopefully will make it after utiliizing  bits and pieces from recipes posted here to come up with a rice pudding with my personal preferences.   

Occasional Visitor

My recipe isn't really a recipe. This is how my mom made it and how I learned to make it when I was 11 yrs. old.

Pour some milk in to an oven proof saucepan. Throw in some rice and just cover it with water. Bring to a boil. Then add some whole milk, about double what is in the pan. Put it in the over at 350 degrees. check it after 30 minutes and skim off the scum that will form on the top. Put it back in the oven. Make sure it doesn't run dry, out of milk, before the rice cooks. I keep checking it all the time, remove the skum and then start taste testing when I feel it may be getting ready. i add milk as needed, toward the end, not as much. I want the milk to be absorbed in to the rice. Always just used regular rice. 

When it is cooked, I eat it warm with cinammon and sprinkled sugar, maybe added a little milk. I've never added all the sugar, eggs, etc. that others add. This is a very simple and old fashioned recipe. 

Regular Contributor

I never liked it....I’m strictly a vanilla pudding girl, but my husband liked it.  He usually got it at the diner too along with the liver I refused to cook for him.

Super Contributor

My dad made the best, but it is hard to duplicate it.  Never seems to be the same as his! He baked it in the oven and didn't use eggs.  He used cinnamon in his.  It was so good Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

I love rice pudding,but it has a lot of sugar it it.

When my Mom made it I think she put lemon juice in it. I think!,not sure.

Respected Contributor

Just bought an individual serving from Aldi yesterday. I was very much surprised at how good it was.