Valued Contributor

I am 63 years old and I finally figured out how to make delicious deviled eggs.  I didn't grow up with them at home - my MIL made them and I probably was 20 before I had one.

Hers had curry which were delicious.  I used to make them with regular mayo, regular mustard, salt and pepper and a little paprika.  They were edible but boring.  Now I use a little bread/butter pickle juice, onion flakes, regular mayo, honey dijon mustard and horseradish sauce - mix to taste.  I top with a half olive.  My hubby approves!  No recipe, just mix as you go along!    Oh and I put a spoonful of medium pineapple salsa in the mixture which gave it some zest!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my! I love deviled eggs, but I like them the way you originally made them (what you called boring). I think the trick is to have enough vinegary taste to have some “bite.” They’re very healthy. 

Trusted Contributor

ooh, the pineapple salsa on top sounds delish, I'll  have to try your recipe. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Deviled Eggs

[ Edited ]

I loved deviled eggs and usually order them as my appetizer.   Firebirds has the best.  Since I am not the best cook and cannot add ingredients like you do @tarsmom, I got their recipe (I leave out the taco cole slaw).   Love it!!!

Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

6 – Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise

¼ Cup – Mayonnaise

1 ½ tsp – Horseradish

1 ½ tsp – Yellow Mustard

1 ½ tsp – Pickle Juice

1 tsp – Sriracha Sauce

1 tsp – Salt

6 – Candied Bacon pieces – Applewood smoked bacon baked with brown sugar

Jalapeno – sliced thin

Chile Rub – (combination of ancho chile powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, sugar & salt)

6 TBSP – Taco Cole Slaw – We make ours in house but you can use your favorite cole slaw recipe

Directions:

Remove yolk from each egg and place into a bowl mash with a fork. (A food processor or blender works well to create a smooth texture) Add the mayo, horseradish, mustard, pickle juice, Sriracha and salt and mix thoroughly.  Fill a pastry bag with the yolk mixture and pipe into the egg whites.  Place the six tablespoons of taco slaw on a chilled plate evenly spread out. Sprinkle each egg with chile rub, top with candied bacon, jalapeno slice and place on the slaw.  Drizzle the plate with extra Sriracha Sauce.

Honored Contributor

Nothing too exotic about my recipe, my husband doesn't like a spicy deviled egg:

6 hard-boiled eggs

3 tbsp mayonnaise

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar

Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Dash of hot sauce

Valued Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Nothing too exotic about my recipe, my husband doesn't like a spicy deviled egg:

6 hard-boiled eggs

3 tbsp mayonnaise

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar

Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Dash of hot sauce

I like your recipe - I will give this a try next time!

Esteemed Contributor

Please don't all throw your oven mitts at me for saying this, but they're better (i think) if you use Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Please don't all throw your oven mitts at me for saying this, but they're better (i think) if you use Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.

Me, too, @x Hedge!

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I was reading all the replies that said mayonnaise before I posted that I use Miracle Whip when I came upon your post. I totally agree!   I use Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, a little salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic powder.  I think they are delicious but maybe it’s because that’s the way my mom made them. 

Respected Contributor

I certainly don't want Miracle Whip in the house, but the way I make deviled eggs  with mayo probably approximates  the sweeter taste of Miracle Whip.

I make mine with mayo and a generous amount of mustard, and then throw in  a few spoonfuls of sweet pickle relish, which adds a vinegar/sweet taste, plus a little bit of texture and color.  Paprika is the final garnish, nothing else.