Regular Contributor

Just a cautionary re: grilling with a wire brush

I just wanted to give a fyi that if or when barbequing on the grill, utilizing a wire grill brush may result in the wire getting caught in the food of which you're grilling.  There was a program on tv ("Monsters Inside of Me") about a woman who was at a bbq and felt a sharp pain in her throat.  She'd gotten really sick to her stomach and after getting an xray and ct scan at the hospital, it was found that she'd had an object that pierced her throat.  After getting surgery, it was discovered that a piece of wire from the grill brush got entangled in the burger.  Apparently, over 100 cases of wire grill brush injuries occur each year.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just a cautionary re: grilling with a wire brush

I have read about this and no longer use a wire brush. I threw it out.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago we learned of this dangerous problem from a surgeon.  I never thought about it, but he told us it is a common problem over the summer grilling season.  The MD even noted several pts get nasty infections as a result of the damage the wire piece stuck in the throat, stomach or intestines.   He said if he had it his way those brushes would be outlawed!

Respected Contributor

I found a piece of what looked like metal in  food I had ordered at a very nice restaurant. 

Didn't know exactly what it was,  Manager apologized profusely and said that it was part of the brushes they used to clean their grill station.

Glad I saw it before I ate it!!

Honored Contributor

I saw a segment on tv about this. It's very disturbing. I haven't grilled lately but have one of those brushes and tossed it.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow! I never thought of this. I just threw mine right out. Thank you all for the heads up. 

By the way what do you use to clean it now?

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Wow! I never thought of this. I just threw mine right out. Thank you all for the heads up. 

By the way what do you use to clean it now?

@godi.  I read one way is to make a tight ball of aluminum foil and use that. I use it with tongs when the grill is hot. It doesn’t work quite as good but I do the best I can. Also I will use a Brillo pad when the grill is cold.

Honored Contributor

DH bought a wood grill scraper. You need to use it while your grill is hot.

Image result for wood grill scraper academy sports

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.  Thank you for this. I didn’t know they had wooden ones.

Respected Contributor

I saw this on the news too!  Smiley Sad