Trusted Contributor

@KatieB - Thank you for posting the Wacky Cake recipe.  I had all the ingredients so I made it yesterday.  It is so easy to make and it came out delicious.  So moist and flavorful.  I added about a quarter cup of mini chocolate chips to the dry ingred. so they wouldn't sink to the bottom after adding the wet.  My hubby loved it.

Going to try the vanilla and lemon flavors too.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've made this Depression Cake for years. For those who are younger and didn't grow up with stories of the Depression from their parents, this was one of a number of popular recipes at the time, and it's still good! It's just hubby and me, so this small recipe works for us since it's made in an 8x8 pan. (Just one of many of of similar recipes)!

Depression Cake

1 1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa

1 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup oil

1 cup water

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp vinegar

Mix all ingredients by hand. Pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan

Bake @350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.

I lightly dust with powdered sugar...this is a great cake for snacking, and very moist.

Regular Contributor

Instead of using water, my recipe called for 1 cup of coffee.

It came out great.

Respected Contributor

Re: Depression Cake

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@KatieB - Thank you for posting the Wacky Cake recipe.  I had all the ingredients so I made it yesterday.  It is so easy to make and it came out delicious.  So moist and flavorful.  I added about a quarter cup of mini chocolate chips to the dry ingred. so they wouldn't sink to the bottom after adding the wet.  My hubby loved it.

Going to try the vanilla and lemon flavors too.  

@WORKING GAL   Glad you liked the cake - it's an old Southern Living recipe that I've made for years.  I have often substitued black coffee for the water.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL 

Lemon version?   Tell me more, please.

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal - I just googled wacky cake (another name for the depression cake) and several websites came up.  There is a lemon version using lemon zest and lemon extract instead of the cocoa and vanilla in the chocolate version.  There is also a vanilla version.  I didn't have time to copy it - just google the wacky cake version you want and recipes will come up.  The lemon one will have to wait til the next shopping trip as I don't have lemon extract.

I might try a couple tbsp. of frozen lemonade concentrate along with enough water to make the one cup of liquid needed & the lemon zest.  These cakes are so easy to make and are very good.

Esteemed Contributor

@hick, substituting a cup of coffee for water is a great idea. I've sometimes substituted a cup of orange juice and that works well too, but I'm going to try the coffee. Thanks!