Regular Contributor

I've not done a lot of baking in my life but since I'm home, I've become more adventurous.

Yesterday I made this "Depression Cake."  It was easy and it turned out very good.

I'm impressed with myself.

Today - bread making in the dutch oven!

Respected Contributor

@hick 

What is a depression cake?  You have peaked my curiosity.........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I saw that on-line and I thought it looked tasty, but am too lazy to make it.  Is it a dense, heavy cake or light?  I would love to try it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I made this last week and I didn't know it was called Depression cake. I used olive oil and vinegar and it came out light and has a rich taste. Also, didn't have to use a mixer either.

Respected Contributor

Here is a recipe for chocolate wacky cake also called depression cake or crazy cake...it is easy and good!

http://www.easyaspiecanbe.com/2018/10/wacky-cake.html 

I also recently made this one (Snickerdoodle Crazy Cake).  We didn't like the sugar/cinnamon on top, so next time, I will leave that off.  What we DID like was the hot caramel topping and ice cream on it!

https://sweetlittlebluebird.com/snickerdoodle-crazy-cake-no-eggs-milk-or-butter/ 

Honored Contributor

@hick   Is that an eggless cake?  That is what my SO's mother called a Depression Cake and it is delicious!!

Honored Contributor

This is sometimes called a wacky cake, ( google it ).  It is ridiculously easy, and so moist and chocolately, that you don't need frosting.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Here's a good depresssion cake recipe:

Chocolate Depression Wacky Cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup water

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch baking dish with a non stick spray. 
  2. In medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. 
  3. Add in the vinegar, vanilla, oil and water and stir until well combined. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Eat warm or cool completely and frost, if desired.

Honored Contributor

My recipe is called Crazy Chocolate Cake and makes a 9x13" cake.  It is really good with peanut butter icing or butter cream icing.  Very moist and has no eggs.

Recipe – Crazy Chocolate Cake

"This cake was popular during the depression, and does not have eggs in it.  It is very moist."

Ingredients

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar  (less if desired)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  •  2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cold water

Directions

1. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a large bowl. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir with mixer.
  2. Pour into 9x13" cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool and frost with your favorite icing.

Frosting:  Buttercream or Peanut Butter; both are very good.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

unfortunately can't find flour in this neck of the woods--new jersey!--tried many stores--seems like everyone is baking!------------------marynj