Respected Contributor

The title says it all.  I just can't seem to get it together.  I've had difficulty meal planning for a while now.  It's only 3 in our household.  If meal planning wasn't hard enough, my husband is on a no carb diet (after seeing that his brother lost 67 lbs).  My daughter, age 12, is a picky eater.  Me...I just fall into the cracks and submit to husband or daughters likes.  I went to the grocery store today.  Again, no plan and no list.  I try to be cautious and not buy things just to buy because groceries are just getting expensive.  I've tried many, and I mean MANY, new recipes in the last year or so and I will be the first to admit they haven't been all that great.  I'm starting to think my cooking skills are going down hill.  I was going to sign up for a cooking class at a local grocery store, but it cost $145.  I went to you tube today hoping to get some inspiration.  UGH!  I feel so defeated.

Honored Contributor

Re: DINNER PLANNING FRUSTRATION

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy My son is somewhat of a picky eater.  He doesn't always like what my husband likes, and I have recently gone vegetarian (as I have in the past)

Find out what dishes you all like, then offshoot from there.  Steak, chicken, turkey, ground beef/turkey.  For instance, make tacos, and your husband can have a taco salad.  Make spaghetti and sauce, and make zucchini noodles instead.  How about wild rice with a meat?

I am by far a great cook, but I've adapted to my family's likes!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You say you can't plan your meals, yet you go to the grocery store with no plan or list?  You are disorganized...thats why you're stressed and frustrated.  Sit down during a quiet time, plan a menu, then after checking your cupboards for supplies against your menu, make a grocery list.  I'd try to accommodate dh's  diet requests but insist dd eat what you prepare or go hungry.  She'll eat when there's no short order cook available.

The solution to your problem is not a cooking class; it's organization.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Plan?  Is that what you young folks do now who "eat at home, plan meals?" Smiley LOL

Why not let your husband & daughter plan?  Better yet, grocery shop & cook!  I sure wouldn't stress about it.

Old school....

We gonna eat out tonight & YOU paying.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what a no carb diet is. Low carb isn't so bad..there are lots of online sites that can give you recipes and ideas.  I like MyFitnessPal.  

Honored Contributor

Back in the comes out but there were 6 of us and believe we ate what mom fixed every night. But she fixed things we all liked so it wasn't too stressful (I hope). For example, I never liked tomatoes so I picked them out of meals. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Mz iMac.  Sit down as a family, make a list of what everyone will/can eat, and have them make the menus for the week.  Then, make a grocery list and head to the market.  People who make demands on meals need to be responsible for making the menus and even doing some of the cooking.  You might even find that they will eat more foods if they have to prepare them for the family.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You say you can't plan your meals, yet you go to the grocery store with no plan or list?  You are disorganized...thats why you're stressed and frustrated.  Sit down during a quiet time, plan a menu, then after checking your cupboards for supplies against your menu, make a grocery list.  I'd try to accommodate dh's  diet requests but insist dd eat what you prepare or go hungry.  She'll eat when there's no short order cook available.

The solution to your problem is not a cooking class; it's organization.

I can’t imagine doing my weekly grocery shopping without a list that’s based on the menu I made for the week! We were as poor as church mice when we got married 42 years ago, so I had to stick to my list in order to keep to our weekly food budget of $45. Besides, if we had any money left over, we’d go to the dollar movie on the weekend. I suppose old habits die hard, but I can count the number of times I’ve gone shopping without my list on my fingers.

Seriously though, Kachina’s right. You can plan your meals so that your husband has enough to choose from without eating carbs. If your daughter doesn’t like what you’re serving, she can eat cheese and crackers or something else that she can fix herself. Regarding the cost of food, do you have a BJ’s or Costco nearby? I do most of my grocery shopping at BJ’s and use my Food Saver to break the meat down for freezing. BJ’s and Costco sell smaller quantities now and their prices are very good. If not, look for the weekly specials at your supermarket. My husband and son both know to look on the menu to see what we’re having for dinner. While I usually make sure I cook meals that we all like, they know better than to turn up their noses at what I put on the table. I’m not running a restaurant.

Valued Contributor

I'm not of the dine in or carry out -- I'm of the take it or leave it.

Let those who "request" certain things plan the meals for the entire family.  Then you can shop/cook.  One person should not be responsible for making sure the others have what they want.

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

they know better than to turn up their noses at what I put on the table. I’m not running a restaurant.

drop the mic.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif