Honored Contributor

Re: DINNER PLANNING FRUSTRATION

@ScrapHappy I totally know what you mean about trying to come up with meals.

That's why I pretty much made the same things.  Ha!  I had so many vegetables it was crazy.  

My husband died, I'm 71 and my 3 daughters have families of their own now.  I miss everyone....

One thing I do not miss is trying to figure out what the hay I'm going to fix for dinner.  Food's never been important to me anyway (I'm still fat), I just don't enjoy eating.

Anyway, when I saw your heading, it brought back all of those dreaded frustrations.

My youngest daughter (37) isn't married and lives an amazing life.  She eats just about everything.  She's very inventive.  When I go to visit her she wants to take me to these ummm 'interesting'(?) restaurants.  I like very plain food.  She's even writing a cookbook for people who like to cook elaborate meals while camping....go figure...

I eat out 4 to 5 times a week (mainly for lunch) so I don't miss coming up with food for other's.

Honored Contributor

january-2016-month-of-menus/

From Womens Day, it's old, maybe there is something more current out there

Esteemed Contributor

It has to be hard trying to plan meals with a picky daughter and a low-carb hubby. Of course you're frustrated. JMO but I think you have two choices: 1) as others have suggested, come up with a set menu plan for each day and post it for your family to see, like baked or grilled chicken on Monday, fish on Tuesday, Quiche or eggs on Wednesday, etc. Stick to the plan and if they want something changed, then they can come up with a recipe on their own or make something they'd rather have, 2) get them to sit down with you and come up with a menu together. Whatever you do, buy basics at the grocery store that you can go to, e.g., fruits, veggies, chicken breasts, potatoes for you/daughter (like loaded baked potatoes), beef veggie slow cooker soup (they can pick out what they don't like), etc. You're not a short-order cook and planning and making meals shouldn't fall totally on you. Try to get them involved, and if they don't want to, then plan your meals and let it go at that. They'll eat, pick out what they want, or make something else. Not every evening meal needs to be a big production - keep it simple and have a free night where they're on their own!

Esteemed Contributor

One more thought....I get totally overwhelmed going to vacation websites, and it sounds like you get overwhelmed going to recipe websites. Maybe what you need are few easy and quick recipes with chicken, fish and veggies. Here's a few:

2 Acorn or Spaghetti Squash: slice in half. Scoop out seeds. Invert in a large baking dish and add 2 Tbsp water. Microwave for 6 to 7 minutes until soft. Add a little butter and brown sugar and micrwave for another minute. The low-carb person can add what he wants .

Chicken breasts or tenderloins: Seasonings that you like and brown in olive oil or butter. Add some sliced mushrooms and onions while browing. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes @ 350

Frozen/fresh fish: season with Old Bay and bown in olive oil or butter until cook or bake.

Honored Contributor

You could always feed them the yo-yo diet.  You’re On Your Own. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Your husband is on a "no" or low carb diet?  Those can be very dangerous because the body can throw off keotones in the urine which is what diabetics can do.  No carbs is very hard on the kidneys.  

I would suggest your husband see his doctor who will give him meal plans for his body.

Please give yourself some fresh fruits and vegetables.  

Yeah, I agree.  No carb is almost impossible, unless you eat just fat and proteins?  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy I just started this thread with 145 skillet recipes and thought of you when I posted it.  It would be great if you could find a few recipes that both your DH and DD would enjoy:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Ready-Set-Skillet/m-p/4386235#M93379

Esteemed Contributor

I see what is on sale.....then ask hubby what he is in the mood for and go from there....

I don't think it is you...I think it is your picky eaters.......

Take them to the store and tell them to buy what they want to eat and you will cook it for them.....

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it's challenging when you've got picky eaters and those with dietary restrictions.  My son used to be a picky eater.  Fortunately, he stopped being picky as he got older.  I got tired of catering to the family so my philosophy became take it, leave it or fix your own meal.  I plan my menus a week at a time and try to go to the grocery once a week.  This helps me budget my time and makes meal prepartion easier.  I've gotten a lot of good recipes from http://margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com  She doesn't post very often anymore and her photos aren't the best, but the recipes I've tried have all been good.

Honored Contributor

scrap---oh do I feel your pain!! I am the same way. I cannot for the life of me, get my act together to plan out my meals for more than a few days at a time. I HATE grocery shopping anyway, and trying to make sure I get the nutrition in there is a chore. I don't use any convienece,packaged garbage and have always cooked from scratch using fresh foods. I am low carb but other than that no restrictions medically. Just a brain freeze when it comes to planning--I KNOW it would make my life so much easier but....... my BFF has ALWAYS done the planning---and still does today---I've known her for 40 years. You know you spend a ton more money going without a list too. Me too!!! Is there any hope for us????