Esteemed Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2018 RECIPE GAME

New post so it will show as new!

Next ingredient:  Any leftovers

Honored Contributor

Zhills...hope you don't mind if I go back to Bacon.  I just happen to be looking at a Jeanne Bice book that had this recipe.

BACON Cherry Poppers

1 lb. BACON, fried and crumbled

1/4 cup finely chopped green onion

2 tablespoons parsley 

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, real stuff

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

24 cherry tomatoes 

Combine all ingredients except tomatoes.  Slice off very top of cherry tomato and scoop out the centers.  Fill the tomatoes with mixture and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.  The longer they sit before serving the better they taste.

Jeanne said you can put mixture on "quackers" too.  Her presentations were fun.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... ANY LEFTOVERS

Honored Contributor

Priscilla-s-Vegetable-Chowder_EXPS_SBZ19_8065_C09_14_8b-1024x1024.jpg

PRISCILLA'S VEGETABLE CHOWDER

Ingredients
  • 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
  • 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 3 cups water
  • 3/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
  • In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.

Thanks for asking about leftovers.  I'm making some grilled chicken thighs tonight and I think I'll make this to go with it.
I'll update after we try it.
Next ingredient:  broccoli
~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Broccoli Tots

(recipe source: thetwobiteclub)

1 large head of broccoli
2 eggs
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup cheese of choice (I like gruyere or colby-jack)
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Spray mini muffin pan(s) with cooking spray. Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 4-5 minutes then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Lay the broccoli out onto paper towels and cover with more paper towels,  Press down firmly on the broccoli to absorb as much moisture as you can.  Another method is to put the broccoli in the center of a dish towel and ring out the water.

Chop broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the egg, onions, garlic, cheese, breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Fill each muffin cup in a mini muffin tin to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it's nice and compacted.

Bake for 18-25 minutes.  The tops should be golden brown. Let them cool a bit so they stay together better.

Yields: 22 to 24 mini tots

NEXT INGREDIENT:

CHINESE FIVE SPICE

Honored Contributor

Here's why I love this recipe game - I was challenged this morning to find a recipe using leftovers and I came upon the soup I posted above.  I made it tonight and it was absolutely awesome!  I've made a lot of soup in my time, and it was one of the very best! 

*I followed the recipe closely, but substituted 2% milk for whole milk and did not add salt.  

Thank you to all the friends who post here regularly 💕

IMG_9866.JPG

Next ingredient:  Chinese Five Spice

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Made this tonight!  Reduced the porportions down to just 1 cup of milk, 1 1/2 cup broth.  Made enough for 2 meals for me!  It is scrumptious.  Not a combination I would have ever put together, but really delicious.  Thanks @house_cat!

Made half the recipe.  I made the veggies, halved the mixture (4 cups) and put half in the fridge.....made the roux and added 1/4 of the other ingredients.  Easy!

Next ingredient: Chinese Five Spice

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills

How nice to hear you made it and enjoyed it as much as we did!  I first thought of halving the recipe, but I always mess up along the way when I do that, so I made the whole thing.  We had it for dinner two nights (no complaints from DH) - I made a cheesy bread to accompany it.... there was enough for my lunch yesterday and today for sure.  It will definitely be a keeper in my house.

Next ingredient: Chinese Five Spice

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Asian Meatballs

This is my own concoction cobbled together from many different recipes when I was looking for something fast and simple to make.

1  1/2 lbs ground beef (can swap out ground pork for a portion of the ground beef, say, 1/4 to 1/2 lb)

1 egg

2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

1 tsp five spice powder

1 tsp granulated garlic

1/4 to 1 tsp salt

1/4 to 1 tsp white pepper

3 Tbsp rice wine (or dry sherry)

3 Tbsp bread crumbs

Combine above ingredients thoroughly but lightly and shape into 1 inch balls. Brown lightly in peanut oil.  Transfer them to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 20 to 25 minutes (more if you make the meatballs larger) and serve with steamed rice and a teriyaki dipping sauce and hot mustard sauce on the side.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  ONIONS, CHIVES, OR GARLIC

Esteemed Contributor

CALVES LIVER AND ONIONS

4 Tablespoons EVOO (divided)
1 Cup thinly sliced onions (you can’t have too many)
¼ tsp ground sage
1 lb calf liver cut into ½” strips (across) **
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons white wine or broth
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

Heat 2 Tbsp EVOO in large skillet.  Add onions.  Cook over med heat stirring frequently for 8 minutes.  Stir in sage and cook for 2 more minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.

**Pat liver dry and cut in strips.  Cutting when just thawed enough to cut and then thawing makes the job more pleasant.  Season with S&P. 

Add 2 Tbsp EVOO to pan and heat.  Add liver and brown quickly on all sides, 2-3 minutes.

Stir in onions and cook with liver for 2 minutes. 

Pour white wine or broth in skillet and boil 1 minute, scraping any browned bits off  bottom of pan.  

Serve over rice and sprinkle with parsley!

Next ingredient:  Eggs

Honored Contributor

Just a quick note that I have already started the 2019 Recipe Game a bit early just in case my 2019 gets off to a slow start . . . Smiley Happy

Thank you all for being such great partners and friends in this forum.  I very much look forward to hearing what everyone is making next year.

Happy New Year's everybody, be well my friends!  Champagne Toast animated emoticon