Honored Contributor

Ho-ho-ho-nooooooooooo it can't be countdown to Christmas already?  Ok my friends, time to pool our vast resources and post our best ingredients and recipes for this most festive season!  Heart  

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there.  @aroc3435 gave us our next ingredient;

Lemon Bisque

from Yankee Church Supper Cookbook

1991 Rodale Press   Page 222

Submitted by Mildred Dimmock, Ellington Congregational Church, Ellington, Connecticut

1 3 oz package of lemon Jell-O

1  1/4 cups boiling water

1/3  cup honey or sugar

1/8 tsp salt

3 Tbsp lemon juice

grated rind of 1 lemon

1 13 oz can of evaporated milk chilled overnight

2 cups crushed vanilla wafers

Dissolve gelatin in 1 1/4 cups boiling water and add honey or sugar, salt , lemon juice and rind.  Put in refrigerator freezing unit for about 15 minutes until partly congealed.  Whip evaporated milk until thick and whip in gelatin mixture.  Mix 1 cup of crushed vanilla wafers evenly over bottim of a 9 X 13 inch glass dish.  Pour bisque mixture over crumbs and top with remaining 1 cup crumbs.  Refrigerate.  Serves 12 t0 15

NEXT INGREDIENT:  CARDAMON or CARAWAY SEED

Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2018 RECIPE GAME

Oh, how cute, mtc.....thanks for the merry start to our game.   Sorry no recipe ....... anyone else? ........

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... CARDAMON or CARAWAY SEED

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe. What a great way to start December! 

Next Ingredient : CARDAMON Or CARAWAY SEEDS

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Cabbage, Apples and Raisins

Red onion thinly sliced, 1 head of cabbage, salt, butter or olive oil, raisins, 2-3 sliced apples (or chopped) dill, CARAWAY SEEDS. 

Put some butter or oil (decent amount) in a 12 inch sauté pan. When melted add onion, cabbage, a little salt over cabbage, a handful of raisins (more if you like), apples, dill and CARAWAY SEEDS. Cover the pan and cook on low about 45 minutes to 1 hour (depends on how soft you like your cabbage) stirring every so often. Be careful when lifting the cover to stir because water will be dripping off of cover.

This is a very old, thrown together recipe of mine, so there are no real amounts. Use whatever amounts you like.

Next Ingredient: TURKEY BREAST

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe   Since your recipe calls for vanilla wafers and had lemon in it, did you know that there is a Nilla Lemon Wafer nowadays.  I saw them in the grocery several weeks ago and tried them.   Although there is not a lot of lemon flavor in the wafer, I like the flavor more than the regular Nilla Wafers...  Just thought I would share..

Respected Contributor

@KatieB I've done the same thing many times.

Next Ingredient: TURKEY BREAST

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB    I did not know that.  Will have to check at Harris Teeters next time I'm there.  Are they the Nabisco brand like the plain vanilla wafers?

Thanks for alerting me.  The recipe I posted goes back a long way and I make it a couple of times a year.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  TURKEY BREAST

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@KatieB    I did not know that.  Will have to check at Harris Teeters next time I'm there.  Are they the Nabisco brand like the plain vanilla wafers?

Thanks for alerting me.  The recipe I posted goes back a long way and I make it a couple of times a year.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  TURKEY BREAST

@aroc3435   Yes, they are the Nabisco brand, they are right beside the Nilla Vanilla Wafers in Harris Teeter....  Same price as regular Nilla flavor....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turkey Shepherd’s Pie

Ingredients

• 3 cups leftover turkey
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 jarred gravy (or leftover if you have it)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
  3. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
  4. Next add the peas and carrots, stirring in with the onions.
  5. Add the salt, pepper and flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes then whisk in the chicken broth.
  6. Once the mixture comes to a boil pour in the milk and gravy. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
  7. Taste for seasonings; then stir in the cooked turkey.
  8. Spoon the turkey mixture into a 2 quart  baking dish (8x8); then top with the mashed potatoes.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes; then place under the broiler for 5 minutes if desired.

Next ingredient:  Apples

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

APPLE CRISP

I like to make this crisp when the kids and grandkids visit at the holidays. They stay for several days and are always hungry. This can be eaten for breakfast with milk or as a dessert with whipped cream or ice cream.

I found this on allrecipes.com and changed it a bit. It’s very easy and is good warm or cold. You can add more topping ingredients if you desire.

Ingredients:
5 Cups of thinly sliced apples- Rome or Empire
¾ Cup packed brown sugar
½ Cup of white sugar
¼ Teaspoon baking powder
½ Cup all-purpose flour plus 1Tblsp. Flour
¼ Teaspoon baking soda
½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ Cup butter melted
¼ Cup water
¼ Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup quick-cooking oats

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees 2.Place the sliced apples in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. 3.Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together and sprinkle over apples. 4.Pour water over all 5.Combine the oats, ½ cup of flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and melted butter together. 6.Crumble evenly over the apple mixture. 7.Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes to crisp the crust.

NEXT INGREDIENT: PORK