Honored Contributor

Crispy Chicken With Lemon Orzo From Ina Garten

In the Ina new cookbook thread, 'm posting recipes that are being released by Ina. 

I'm also going to post some of the recipes that I think are winners in separate threads.  Enjoy!!!

Crispy Chicken With Lemon Orzo From Ina Garten

Screenshot_2020-10-08-18-49-28.png

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)

Crispy Chicken

• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 boneless chicken breasts, skin-on (about 8 ounces each)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 9 tablespoons good European-style unsalted butter (such as Plugrá), divided
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • Lemon Orzo With Feta (recipe below)
  • 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges

Lemon Orzo With Feta

• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup orzo
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
  • 1 cup small-diced feta, preferably Greek (4 ounces

DIRECTIONS

Crispy Chicken

1. Heat the oven to 450°F.
  2. Combine the flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Remove the tenders on the underside of the chicken breasts and save for another use. (This makes the chicken breasts an even thickness so they cook evenly.) Heat the canola oil and 4 tablespoons of the butter together in a large (12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat until the butter has melted and begins to sizzle.
  3. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. Place the chicken, skin side down, in the skillet and cook over medium heat without moving for 12 minutes. With the chicken still skin side down, place the skillet in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Return the skillet to the stovetop over medium heat (careful; the handle will be hot!). Turn the chicken skin side up, add the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter, and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, until the butter is a nutty brown color and the chicken breasts are just cooked through. Off the heat, sprinkle on the parsley.
  4. Divide the Lemon Orzo With Feta among four dinner plates. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice each breast crosswise in thick slices. Arrange one breast on each plate with the orzo. Spoon a few tablespoons of the brown butter over each chicken breast, squeeze on some lemon, and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot with a fresh wedge of lemon on each plate.

Lemon Orzo With Feta

1. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the orzo. Return the water to a boil and simmer uncovered for 9 to 11 minutes, until the orzo is al dente. Drain.
  2. Transfer the orzo to a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Fold in the feta and serve hot

Note: European butters have lower water content and help the chicken sear better than domestic butters.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: Crispy Chicken With Lemon Orzo From Ina Garten

This looks so good.   I've got a rotisserie chicken, orzo, feta and lemon.   I'm going to make the orzo and add kalamata olives to it.

I've been wondering how to use the orzo.  Trader Joe's makes a heat and eat meal like this but they have been out of it when I go since mid summer.   This will be a good substitute.  Thanks for posting.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @Chi-town girl. Will definitely try this. 👍

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I love orzo-----use it often and chicken breasts in the airfryer are amazing. this sounds like a really good mel to me for dinner. but will do this my way and forget about the 100 ingredients Ina always uses. Love In tho. Her tartar sauce is the best.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recipe Chi-town girl.

Will give it a try. With 9 tablespoons of butter, it must be good.

I make a similar recipe with chicken, lemon orzo and asparagus. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I love orzo-----use it often and chicken breasts in the airfryer are amazing. this sounds like a really good mel to me for dinner. but will do this my way and forget about the 100 ingredients Ina always uses. Love In tho. Her tartar sauce is the best.

@wagirl - I'm curious to try cooking chicken breasts in the air fryer.  

What is your technique?  And do you use boneless,  skinless? 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

This does look so good...but Ina is so free with the salt in everything she makes I usually have to add something else or make other changes in the recipe. This recipe uses 4 teaspoons of salt...too much.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl --do you have an airfryer? I have cooked turkey pieces in it as well as chicken, bone-in and boneless. All are nearly the same --- less time for boneless things.  I think when I use chicken tenders, I cook at 400* for 10 minutes, flipping halfway thru. they cook fast so I check after a few minutes. 

for other chicken, I use skin on bone in--so much more flavor. I first dry off the piece of meat then a little olive oil rub ,then season liberally on the outside and stuff seasoning under the skin too. Put it in the basket, mine is a 6 qt with square basket so i can get 2 or 3 depending on the size, , there needs to be some space between those pieces too, set the temp for  360* and the time for 25 minutes. then you need to take its temp, needs to be 165* and turn it over another 20 to 25 minutes. I check every 10 minutes just so I don't over cook it-----sometimes the time is less and sometimes more---but it always turns out great especially turkey breast------I find most the recipes online too. Some airfryers have buttons to roast, altho I've not used it yet--hmmm--wonder why??? will have to try that out. check out--- myforkinglife dot com---she has alot of recipes for airfrying. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  THANK YOU!!! Very much appreciate your detailed info for air frying poultry.  I have copied it for my file

We love to use the air fryer for reheating pizza and some frozen items. I'm very interested to try your techniques for chicken and turkey

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

This looks so good.   I've got a rotisserie chicken, orzo, feta and lemon.   I'm going to make the orzo and add kalamata olives to it.

I've been wondering how to use the orzo.  Trader Joe's makes a heat and eat meal like this but they have been out of it when I go since mid summer.   This will be a good substitute.  Thanks for posting.

Update:  I made it and it was really good.  The addition of the feta and olives, I think adds more flavor to it.