Frequent Contributor

Christmas cookies needed please

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cookies that are rolled out and use cookie cutters ? I also need them to be crispy. Thanks, Annamarie. P.S. I searched around but most recipes don't say if they come out soft or crispy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas cookies needed please

Sometimes cookies come out crispier if you let them bake an extra minute or two.you need to be careful though that the bottoms aren't burning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annamarie Every butter cookie recipe probably would come out crisp - especially if you roll them thinner.  Stay away from anything with sour cream or cream cheese and do not use margarine or butter crisco as those will make a softer cookie.  Butter makes a crisper cookie.   My mother used to make butter cookies that were really crispy but I stupidly never got her recipe because she always made those so I didn't have to and thought she would be around forever and the recipe was nowhere to be found.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Annamarie

I just made these cookies.  The dough is slightly "sticky" so it does need to rest in the refrigerator or it will be very difficult to roll out.   I would recommend, overnight.  I dusted my counter top with flour and the top of the cookie dough with a little flour before rolling out with a floured roller (I like using my fondant roller.)  I gathered the scraps and rolled them out a second time. (Threw out the leftover scraps after the second rollout.)

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
Recipe By:Jill Saunders  (ALL Recipes)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing your Recipe.