Honored Contributor

Here is the recipe DH uses. DH is eating Chili tonight. I don't eat Chili. I still fee like ****** so probably another bowl of soup for me. Food doesn't sound good. Guess I should look at recipes later before I throw up looking at food?

1 T olive oil

1 lb top sirloin, cubed

1 lb ground chuck

1 large onion, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)

1 bottle of beer 

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

1 c strong coffee

1 6 oz can tomato paste

1 t chili powder

1 T cocoa powder

1 ½ c jalapeno or bell peppers

1/2 c brown sugar

1 T heaping of cumin

1 t heaping of coriander

1 t cayenne pepper

1 t sea salt

2 15 oz cans kidney beans

1 15 oz can white beans

5 large carrots, sliced discs

In large stock pot, heat oil over med heat to brown sirloin first then the beef.

When meat is lightly browned add onions & peppers.

Add the beer, tomatoes, coffee & tomato paste.

Add sugar, spices & kidney beans.

Reduce stove to low & let simmer for an hour.

Add white beans & carrots, simmer for another two hours.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Your recipe looks delicious, I have everything on it except for sirloin. I'll use all ground beef.

Sunday will be chili time.

'Thank you fir sharing your recipe.

Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

I use Wick Fowler 2 Alarm chili kit.  If you don't like spicy, they make False Alarm.  You can get at Amazon and Walmart.   Use pinto beans instead of kidney beans.  I add jalapenos.  Top with shredded cheddar and diced onions.  Serve with tortilla chips.

@kze It's the best ever!  I measured the ingredient packets and now use those measurement and my spices.  I also throw in some other chili powder (which is never spicy or rich enough for me!) and I've found that dried chopped onion for some reason make better chili than freshly chopped. . They hold their flavor better.

Also, I use ground white meat turkey breast and beef broth!  Good and very healthy.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@kze wrote:

I use Wick Fowler 2 Alarm chili kit.  If you don't like spicy, they make False Alarm.  You can get at Amazon and Walmart.   Use pinto beans instead of kidney beans.  I add jalapenos.  Top with shredded cheddar and diced onions.  Serve with tortilla chips.

@kze It's the best ever!  I measured the ingredient packets and now use those measurement and my spices.  I also throw in some other chili powder (which is never spicy or rich enough for me!) and I've found that dried chopped onion for some reason make better chili than freshly chopped. . They hold their flavor better.

Also, I use ground white meat turkey breast and beef broth!  Good and very healthy.  

@Sooner 

Yes, I use dried onion while cooking the chili.  I make some adjustments in the packets too.  I only use half the paprika and masa.  Also after browning the meat, I add all the spices and roast them a few minutes before adding liquids. 

My other trick is using only Mrs Renfro's brand jalapeños and adding about a tablespoon of the vinegar from the jar.  That makes a big difference, I think.

What is the other type of chili you add?  I'd like to try it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Britbrit13, you can still make a small batch of chili for the 2 of you - I do that frequently because I don't like having to freeze a lot of food that we may or may not eat! You can cut your regular recipe in half or, this is what I do: use 1/2 pound of ground meat, 1 can of beans (I like Northern Beans), 1 can (13 oz size) diced tomatoes, diced onion and celery, chili seasoning or 1/2 packet of chili seasoning mix, and 1 to 2 cups of water (or small can of tomato sauce) depending on how thick you like your chili. This makes a very manageable amount for 2 people. I sometimes brown a full pound of ground meat and refrigerate the other half for a different recipe during the week. Some of us seniors just like to make smaller batches of food!

Respected Contributor

Does anyone have an easy trick or hack to drain the grease before adding the veggies? Thx! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 I take a paper towel and tongs.  Wad up the tower, mop out!  May take 2 if you use fatty beef.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

Chili is one of those popular foods with a ton of recipes available.

The key word to me in your post, was soup.  My family prefers a soup style chili, instead of a tighter consistency with added masa.  We also like our chili heavy on the ground beef, onions, kidney beans, and spicy chili powder.  I use tomato juice, along with chopped raw jalapeño or serrano peppers, a single can of diced tomatoes as well as a can of Rotel, and beef broth which tones down the tomatoes.  I add salt and pepper after I taste.  

My chili has evolved some over the years, but basically remains very simple and affordable.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Chilli time

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's definitely chili (and cornbread!) time. We love it. I use half ground round and half Italian sausage, and the flavor is delicious. Can't wait to start making it and, as everyone here knows, chili freezes beautifully.

What worries you masters you.