Esteemed Contributor
@4kitties

Were you the poster who mentioned the canned mushroom steak sauce? If so, I wanted to mention I used to LOVE that sauce when I was single and cooked myself a ribeye steak. I was just mentioning it to my husband when I was trying to describe a canned steak sauce. He thought I was bonkers. I have not seen that sauce for years out here. And there is nothing wrong, imo, with using shortcuts once in awhile.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@kate2357 

Yes that was me......☺️☺️

I am gravy challenged so I cheat.  I have used it for years and can still find it here in Illinois.  I get it at both Kroger and Walmart.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

We like them as well.  I cook them a bit different .. instead of using flour, I dip them in beated eggs, let the excess drop off & then use seasoned bread crumbs on a plate & then just coat each side.  NOTE:  I do season them with garlic powder & ground pepper before the bread crumbs.  Fry them in a little olive oil & (keeping fingers crossed) I don't over-cook them for DH.  He's more of a med. rare guy & I like med. welldone.  Most of the time they're crispy on the outside & juicy enough on the inside that we're both happy.  I cook ours separate.  Yum!

Respected Contributor

I love cubed steak.  I have done the Salisbury way and also grilled on my Ninja grill and come out great on that.  I have also fried in skillet for a few on each side. 

Salisbury way do flour and brown and then bake and add onions , peas and mushrooms.  My mom did it that way.  

We use round steak for Salisbury steak.

Round and cubed are from the same cut of beef but cubed usually more lean and tenderized and thinner.  

If it is done right it is very good.  

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@eddyandme   We like cube steak.  Buy them at the local meat market, not a supermarket. DH flours and browns them.  Then use Campbells Mushroom soup and Lipton's dry beefy onion soup and bake at 350.  They come out tender and the gravy is great for mashed potatoes.  I would not pan fry them.  They must be baked to come out tender.

Since you are planning for lunch, maybe make knife and fork sandwichs with them and cover with the gravy instead of a full meal with potatoes, etc.

I've often used the Lipton dry soup instead of the brown gravy packet. Either way is very  tasty. I like the idea of an open face sandwich 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I LOVE cube steak!

First, I cut thin slices of sweet onion (you will need 2), and put in a lg frying pan sprayed with olive oil.  I spray the top of the onion and pan grill trying to turn it as a solid circle until it falls apart.  When it is done. I remove to paper towels and grill 1/2 thin strips of 2 bell peppers until done.

I remove to fresh paper towels and do the same with fresh roughly chopped mushrooms. 

I respray the pan and gently sear both sides of the cube steak.  I add a lot of Worcheschire sauce, place all the vegetables on top, and cook on low about 15 minutes until done.

I would suggest garlic mashed potatoes and a green vegetable with rolls or garlic bread.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother   Lipton's dry beefy onion soup is also good for making Meat Loaf.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme If I were your guest, I'd be wowed by a good meatloaf!  I think it is one of the most loved things going.  That and maybe some good scalloped potatoes and good green beans, a side of ketchup and I'd be in heaven!  

Maybe get a butcher to select and grind a nice piece of beef for it?  It doesn't have to be really expensive, but fesh ground from a decent cut of beef is wonderful!  

Honored Contributor

Cube steak is company worthy if  it is made correctly.  My family loves it

I coat the steak with flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry it until it is brown.  

Then put in a casserole dish and slice 2 large onions and place on top.  

Add two cans of stewed tomatoes and bake covered at 350 for about an hour.

It is very tender and makes it's own gravy.  I serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie.

I never have any leftovers.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

LOL! That was our menu last night, with enough left for tonight!

We did have mashed instead of scalloped, as that's what DH prefers.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.