Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever make chicken cacciatore with BONELESS/SKINLESS chicken breasts?  I'm considering making this for the first time, but I know my family, they really don't like chicken breasts with the bone in.  But I don't know if it will work with boneless.

Valued Contributor

Re: CHICKEN CACCIATORE QUESTION

I always make mine with boneless chicken breasts.  My DH loves sausage so I also add sausage to it.  You will not have to cook it as long with boneless though.

Honored Contributor

My friend makes it with a cut up chicken, bones and all.  You're going to have to make it the way your family likes it (boneless). As I recall, the name means a hunter's stew which is probably why most people toss in a cut up chicken.

Respected Contributor

Hi, @ScrapHappy. Does your family like chicken thighs?

I think that in a stew-like dish, they're nicer. You could get boneless, skinless thighs.

Enjoy your supper. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I've done it both ways.It comes out just as good boneless!! You just have to adjust the temperature & the time so it doesn't dry out.

Valued Contributor

I have made it both ways and prefer the "richer" taste of the sauce when I use parts with skin and bones.   The sharpness of the tomato sauce is softened by flavors imparted by the chicken.   However, both ways make a great dish!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, prefer the sauce made with bone-in chicken.  However, I prefer the ease and less mess of no bone on the plate.

(One of the main reasons I rarely fix Chicken Cacciatore!) 

I haven't tried yet but, I am thinking of cooking with bone-in pieces, then getting messy and taking the breasts off the bone for serving.

The meat from the thighs and legs which should be almost falling off could work almost as a chicken ragu for another day.  (Maybe even used for the sauce for a lasagna)

When it gets cold, I'm going to give it a try!  

Trusted Contributor

I always use chicken parts (bone-in) as I do think it's much more flavorful.

What I do, is at the end of the cooking time, I take the parts out and remove all meat from the bones, (cool first) and then add the deboned chicken back to the pot.and heat just until reheated through.

I also do this when I make chicken and dumplings.

To me, boneless chicken doesn't give the same depth of flavor that the bone-in chicken parts do.  The dark meat such as what's on the thighs and legs, gives a delicious flavor to the dish that boneless white meat doesn't. And it's so easy to remove the meat from the bones, as it's pretty tender at the end of the cooking time.

Now I need to make some cacciatore!  Hope yours is delish!   

Honored Contributor

I agree with @sabatini - I use the boneless thighs.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stew boneless breasts, tear into bite size pieces, and add to the sauce which I serve over spaghetti noodles.

This is the recipe I scaled down my for my DIL.

Chicken Cacciatore

2 cans recipe cut tomatoes and liquid.

1 lg. can tomato sauce

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 c bite size mushrooms

1  green or red bell pepper cut in thin half strips

1/2 cup white zin (optional)

1/2 Tbsp. oregano

1 Tbsp. basil

Grated parmesan cheese 

4 stewed chicken pieces off the bone torn in bite sizes.

Cooked spaghetti or small egg noodles, tossed with butter or olive oil to prevent sticking.

1. Combine all items but the chicken and noodles, and cheese in a large sauce pan. 
  2. Bring to a soft boil, then lower to simmer until vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced, about 20-30 minutes.
  3. Add chicken pieces and continue to warm, about 10- 15 minutes.
  4. Serve over hot pasta with  fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Reheats well in microwave.