Respected Contributor

Easy Microwave Quinoa - No stirring 'til the end

[ Edited ]

1/4 cup Quinoa (rinse) 

8 oz water (I add 2 extra tablespoons because I like it softer)

1/8 tsp salt (optional)

Mix in a large container with close-fitting lid (quinoa expands so you need something big)

Microwave for 5 minutes on high power

Microwave for 15 minutes at 40% power

Remove from microwave and fluff with fork

Let sit covered for 5 minutes

I use water but I think any kind of broth or liquid would do.

And I use white quinoa.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easy Microwave Quinoa - No stirring 'til the end

@ Montana Thanks for the recipe.  For anyone who just prefers not to cook in the microwave, using a rice cooker is a great way to cook quinoa without having to babysit the pot and frequently stir.  

Trusted Contributor

@ Montana

Are the 2 extra tablespoons of liquid included in the 8 oz  or is it 8 oz+ 2 tablespoons? Normally, the ratio is 1 unit of quinoa to 2 units of liquids, or 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup water. Thanks..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze wrote:

@ Montana

Are the 2 extra tablespoons of liquid included in the 8 oz  or is it 8 oz+ 2 tablespoons? Normally, the ratio is 1 unit of quinoa to 2 units of liquids, or 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup water. Thanks..

@vabreezeit's 8 oz + 2 tablespoons.  I tried 1/2 cup of water for 1/4 cup of quinoa but it wasn't enough liquid for me. I also tried just 8 oz of water. That didn't quite give me the results I wanted either. Still too dry. The recipe I posted cooks the quinoa the way I like it.  

Try the 1/4 cup of quinoa with a 1/2 cup of water and see if it comes out the way you want.