Trusted Contributor

Broth or Stock When Making Soup?

I'm so confused about whether to use chicken broth or chicken stock when making homemade soup.

My mother always used broth.   Yet, when I watch the Food Network shows, they all use stock.

I don't know which is better or why. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Broth or Stock When Making Soup?

Well, for "real" stock............you're supposed to boil soup bones.     Haven't seen those in any market in years.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I've used both broth or stock interchangeably in my cooking and never felt it made a difference. I've used Swanson, College Inn and Kitchen Basics as brands available in nearby markets  in both stock and broth versions. Stock tends to be stronger flavored, but if there are other seasonings or veggies going into your soup it will not matter at all.  Whatever you have on hand, whatever brand, you will have delicious soup.  Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much!

I do put in celery, onions, carrots, and spices.   I appreciate the feedback.

I have so much "broth" I bought, so glad it is okay to use to make a good soup on this chilly day.

Trusted Contributor

Progresso has a new "stock"  product, if not new, updated, and it is extremely flavorsome.  I can highly recommend it.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Black Cat Back@Desertdi@cancun08,
I don't like the taste or high sodium of pre-prepared canned stock.

When I'm going to be needing chicken stock, or is it broth(?), (I really should go look that up) I treat myself to a rotisserie chicken from the deli.

I'll remove the skin and separate the meat into piles of light and dark and bag for freezing unless I'm using right away.

After skin and all meat is removed I'll submerge the whole chicken carcass under cold water in a saucepan or stockpot and simmer, covered, over low flame. Later, skim out larger pieces of bone and strain the stock/broth to remove all small bits of the carcass.

At this point I add salt and if needed, additional bullion to taste.

This makes a nice base for cooking your mirepoix and later adding back some bite sized pieces of white meat rotisserie chicken to the pot.

Simmer home made dumplings on top to finish off your chicken soup.

You'll have enough for another meal from the rest of that rotisserie chicken at a later date. Maybe dark meat chicken with egg noodles, fine cut celery, and sliced pre-browned mushrooms?

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Black Cat Back@Desertdi@cancun08,
I don't like the taste or high sodium of pre-prepared canned stock.

When I'm going to be needing chicken stock, or is it broth(?), (I really should go look that up) I treat myself to a rotisserie chicken from the deli.

I'll remove the skin and separate the meat into piles of light and dark and bag for freezing unless I'm using right away.

After skin and all meat is removed I'll submerge the whole chicken carcass under cold water in a saucepan or stockpot and simmer, covered, over low flame. Later, skim out larger pieces of bone and strain the stock/broth to remove all small bits of the carcass.

At this point I add salt and if needed, additional bullion to taste.

This makes a nice base for cooking your mirepoix and later adding back some bite sized pieces of white meat rotisserie chicken to the pot.

Simmer home made dumplings on top to finish off your chicken soup.

You'll have enough for another meal from the rest of that rotisserie chicken at a later date. Maybe dark meat chicken with egg noodles, fine cut celery, and sliced pre-browned mushrooms?

Sounds like a GREAT idea.  I often make my own rotisserie chicken...now I can do as you have said with the carcass.    How long do you cook it for to make a stock/broth??

Also, can I freeze it for another time??    Nice recipe!!!

Honored Contributor

Our grocery store has Swanson Low Sodium chicken and beef  broth.

Image result for swanson low sodium chicken broth

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG,  @Black Cat Back@Dazlin@cancun08@gizmogal

If you like pre-prepared, Consumer Reports rated Knorr highest. Knorr was also rated a "best buy", indicating high value for low price.

They liked Swanson's stock, but in the article called Swanson's broth "soapy flavored". 

227604-soup-knorr-homestylechickenstock.jpg

CRO_broth_taste_comparison_data_09-13.pngCRO_broth_taste_comparison_data_09-13.png

SS-2013.11-CB-Knorr-0011.jpgpost edited to put the 2 images back!

Sorry, i didn't realize when I deleted them from my profile,  they would also disappear from the posts! 

This means I've messed up a few other posts. Sorry!again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  I would have to take a guess and say maybe around 40 minutes to an hour. But that's strictly a guess, and next time could be an hour and a half if I think I started with too much water in the pot and want to cook it down some. Sorry, but I improvise as I cook.