Esteemed Contributor

Re: Broth or Stock When Making Soup?

Stock

Roast your bone before boiling them.  It's great if you use left over roast chicken, turkey, pork, etc. and then add your vegetables.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@ECBG,  @Black Cat Back@Dazlin@cancun08@gizmogal

If you like pre-prepared, Consumer Reports rated Knorr highest. Knorr was also rated a "best buy", indicating high value for low price.

They liked Swanson's stock, but in the article called Swanson's broth "soapy flavored". 

@x Hedge,Good to know.  Really liked seeing the list.Smiley HappyCRO_broth_taste_comparison_data_09-13.png@

SS-2013.11-CB-Knorr-0011.jpg

Honored Contributor

A word about "low sodium."

Check the labels of all of your choices as I've found some packaged stocks are lower sodium than the ones labeled "low sodium."

I make my own stock.  Save all of my bones (chicken and beef) and make a batch in the crock pot every few weeks.  I get about 9 cups out of each batch.

I've heard about roasting the bones first, but to be honest, the last thing I need is another "step."  It's already a process to strain that beast.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I can't help but smile as I read this thread -- whenever my mother or grandmother cooked a chicken for a casserole or for chicken salad, their recipe note usually read:  "Boil chicken.  Save juice for soup." 

Valued Contributor

Really you can use either.  I use low sodium.  I've made my own but sometimes too lazy for it.