Honored Contributor

Emeril's 'essence' - for what do you use it?

Last night I made Emeril's chicken marsala, which called for a spice blend he calls 'essence'. The chicken was delicious, by the way.

I prepared it and now have A LOT OF IT left.  I'm wondering what sorts of things it would work well with.

Ingredients

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika.

2 tablespoons salt.

2 tablespoons garlic powder.

1 tablespoon black pepper.

1 tablespoon onion powder.

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.

1 tablespoon dried oregano.

1 tablespoon dried thyme.

If you have any recipes or ideas on how to use it and don't mind sharing, that would be great.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Emeril's 'essence' - for what do you use it?

You are using his Creole "Bayou Blast" rub, I believe. 

I make and use his Rustic Rub, which is also excellent. When I make it, I share it with our son. It keeps for quite a while; I think I make it once every 8 months or so. (I use only half the salt specified in the recipe)

I sprinkle it quite liberally on beef roasts as well as pork roasts.  When I'm heating up olive oil in my pan to brown onion for various soups and stews, I throw a teaspoon or so in with the oil.

I sprinkle it on fried potatoes and use it in my seasoning for Hasselback Potatoes. I have used it on corn.

We use it often on grilled meats.

I have sprinkled it on thick slices of home made Italian-type or sourdough bread that I've slathered with butter and then sprinkled shredded cheese on the slices and broiled in the oven.

I have sprinkled it on pasta.

Note these are the ways I've used Rustic Rub. I'm sure you could try them with your Creole Blast.

Respected Contributor

Re: Emeril's 'essence' - for what do you use it?

We cook a lot of New Orleans' food at our house. Any New Orleans or Southern Style food you can add Emeril's Essence to it. 

Some of the food that might be perfect to add to will be Gumbo, Jambalaya, or Red Beans and Rice.

You can type in those on Allrecipes.com and there will be lots of different recipes for those.  Just substitue the Essence for Salt/Pepper or Creole Seasoning that was called for in the recipe.