Valued Contributor

Re: Basil Versus Cilantro...

I like both cilantro and basil.  My husband is one of those who says cilantro tastes like soap to him.  Fennel is what I don't like.

Honored Contributor

I like basil more than cilantro---I used both, usually dried, but do grow basil and make pesto mixed with spinach to cut thru the strong basil taste. cilantro is good in salsa but just  pinch is good for me in most things

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   Smiley Very Happycouldn't help but notice:

Yea!  Pesto day with high oil and cheese...so good! Smiley Wink

Next day:  that was so good, but time to reign it in...weight watchers salmon patties with salsa tonight!Smiley LOL

This is sort of how my life goes!

Esteemed Contributor

Cilantro for asian and mexican dishes.  Basil for italian and anything else.

Trusted Contributor

Love basil, HATE Cilantro!!!

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@LavernLuvsShoes  I LOVE Basil, and cilantro turns my stomach. I don't mind the flavor so much, but it used to make me feel kind of sick. What I did to fix that is eat lots of food containing cilantro whenever I could. I am now able to tolerate it without feeling sick. Still not my favorite. I remember hearing that Julia Child said she thought cilantro tasted like soap! Yikes!

Tastes like soap to me too!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm the same way.  I'm not a fan of basil but can tolerate it in (VERY) small doses.  I Love cilantro!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Occasional Contributor

I like both. Basil for Italian dishes and cilantro for Mexican dishes.

Honored Contributor

absolutely love both basil and cilantro.....two totally different herbs.

i make a meat and kidney bean stew that has a mix of cilantro, parsley, spring onion or chives, spinach, and onions in it. we serve it over rice and it is delicious!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

for those who love basil.......try basil, a good creamy feta cheese, and a walnut in between flat bread or pita......so delicious you cannot stop eating it. add some good fresh tomato also when they are in season.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein