Valued Contributor

I've recently eaten dishes that contained fresh Basil, and I understand it's one of the "popular" herbs, I just can't stomach it - Pun intended Woman LOL

However, I absolutely love Cilantro, although I know a lot of people say it tastes like soap.

Soooo, my question is: Do you prefer one over the other, or perhaps you enjoy both?

Honored Contributor

Re: Basil Versus Cilantro...

@LavernLuvsShoes  I do like basil. I cannot stand or stomach cilantro. I spent my first 61 years in So. Cal. and ate truckloads of Mexican food but always had to order it with "NO cilantro".

Respected Contributor

I am Italian and we never cook with oregano, but do use lots of fresh basil. I will pass on the cilantro.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes  I LOVE Basil, and cilantro turns my stomach. I don't mind the flavor so much, but it used to make me feel kind of sick. What I did to fix that is eat lots of food containing cilantro whenever I could. I am now able to tolerate it without feeling sick. Still not my favorite. I remember hearing that Julia Child said she thought cilantro tasted like soap! Yikes!

Frequent Contributor

HUGE cilantro fan, hated it as a kid then somewhere along the line it became a favorite.  I like basil too, but a little goes a long way for me.

Valued Contributor

I use basil in tomato dishes, mostly Italian. Love a good Caprese salad with fresh basil. But I also enjoy cilantro in my Mexican dishes, especially fresh salsa!!😋

Honored Contributor

I'm in the Hate Cilantro camp.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love both herbs !

I use many herbs when preparing  meals , tarragon , rosemary, thyme, fennel seed ,

Thai basil

Respected Contributor

Don't know how true this is, but I've heard approximately 10% of the population is allergic to cilantro. I just know for me it causes automatic retching. Not pretty.

Absolutly love basil and always have some growing. 

Respected Contributor

Funny story - a few years ago I signed up for that 23 and me genetic testing.  Every once in a while they send updates based on my testing and one of them was that based on my genetics I am (something like) 90% likely to hate cilantro!!!  And it's very true - I do! 

What a funny thing to test for (and be able to)

So far no news from them on basil Cat Very Happy